Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No One’s Going to Tell You “Your Website Looks Like $#*@”!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

Warning, this post might offend some. It’s “one of those” posts. I am not one to sugar coat things, so if you are already thinking this post is going to make you mad – here is a link for you instead:

I can’t begin to tell you how often we hear “everyone says my website looks great” or “I get compliments all the time on our website”. If you are thinking your website is working because your friends, family or clients said so, I want to ask you: Do you think someone would tell you that your site is a usability nightmare or that it looks like it was designed by a chimp? Probably not.

Your friends won’t tell you your website sucks, your colleagues won’t tell you, heck, even your competition won’t tell you what’s wrong with your website. The reason why they won’t tell you are simple:

Friends & family don’t want to hurt you. And your competitors do.

Although we see this all the time, I am taking a recent real-life example from Facebook – not to put this person in the spotlight, but to illustrate how this usually plays out.

This person recently started a business and decided to pool her friends to ask what they think of her new website.

What do you think about my website?

I actually went to her site and right away noticed several major problems, but with writing this post in the back of my mind, I thought I would let the conversation play its course. So, what do you think her friends said in response to her question? You guessed it:

comments on "what do you think of my website" question

No pointers or tips, no “your site takes forever to load” or “your fonts are extremely hard to read” or even “some of your links are broken” — just “good job”. Which is what you might expect from friends and family in this scenario.

And to be fair – I will say that the person I’m mentioning here did do some things really well and spent a great deal of time building this website. While a part of me wants to say “that’s awesome”, the rational side says “that’s not a smart way for a business owner to spend their time (unless they are starting a web design business)”.

What’s your website worth?

A website is an extremely important business asset and in some cases it’s the most important asset a business has. When businesses place little, to no value in their web presence – it shows; both to average people and industry buffs alike. When you decide to build a DIY website for $59 or have your nephew make something because he’s on summer break – you are doing yourself a huge disservice. And guess what? Your friends, family, clients and just about anyone else who knows you, won’t tell you.

The days of throwing up a website and forgetting about it are gone. Doing that, is going to leave you in your competitor’s dust. DIY websites are great for nothing – and I’m not saying that because I happen to own a web design company; I’m saying that because you get what you pay for; and on top of that, with a DIY website, you are using your time to try and figure out what your website should be doing, how it should work and why. A website that doesn’t bring you business, is a waste of space.

How are you getting an understanding of whether your website works or not?

If pooling friends and family is the only way you are getting an understanding of how your website is working, you’re missing the boat. You would be better off sitting in Starbucks with a handful of $5 bills asking strangers to look at your site – at least then you “might” get some honest opinions. Better yet, get your website analyzed by an expert and let them tell you where you are missing opportunities. Many web design / internet marketing companies, ours included, will actually perform a quick website analysis as part of an initial consultation.

There are ways to learn the cold (sometimes hard) facts about your website and how you might improve it. But if you don’t want to truth, you can always ask your “friends” ;)

LINK TO THIS ARTICLE

DIY SITES REALLY DO SUCK

WHY USING WORDPRESS SUCKS

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Was your other post not getting your point across?
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel like talking about websites.

Im tired of the abortions, PA, and I fucked my neighbors dog posts!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Huh. You know... For someone being so tired of those kind of posts, you sure post a lot of comments in them.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

A LOT? really? Have you been counting? Got proof?

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh. You know... For someone being so tired of those kind of posts, you sure post a lot of comments in them.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I tell people all the time when they look like shit.. Its my job to make them better :P I am a graphic artist/web designer

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

RLT2
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL! I've never seen this frog before! Is he new?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM
I've had him for a while

Quoting RLT2:

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL! I've never seen this frog before! Is he new?

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM

well um

I dont think that was the entire point of the article I think point he was saying is when people build a site (especially those templated build a free one) home made basement site, they think it is good because no one has the courage to say well..... its not really fitting or....

I think telling someone hey well thats a good start however....

These things are things that stand out that need to be removed, fixed, repaired, added...

Simply saying a site sucks isnt very productive *stares*

Quoting Ajanee12:

I tell people all the time when they look like shit.. Its my job to make them better :P I am a graphic artist/web designer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)