Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poor me...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 60 Replies

Funny College Ecard: Another year of no Financial Aid. Thats what you get when your white, parents are still married, and your dad actually does shit for a living....

Let's all get over the "your" vs "you're" on this 'oh-so-clever" e-card...k?

Someone posted this on facebook....my initial reaction was "Oh, another 'poor me, I'm white, and only black people (or other minorities) get help - REVERSE DISCRIMINATION (puke) is running rampant and I am so unfortunate because I'm not black (or another minority).... (or so unfortunate b/c my parents are married ---- or so unfortunate b/c my dad works for a living)'" kind of thing. 

Then I started thinking about CM --- and about how many people have the opinion that parents 'should' financially plan for their child's higher education.  Others feel if someone wants to go to college, they will figure out a way to pay their own way.

So, what do you think?

What do you think about ANY federal financial aid being available to ANYONE (rich, poor, white, black, hispanic, native american, asian, etc.) -- about financial aid being available to college students from all family types (married parents, divorced parents, same sex parents, single parents)???

Keep in mind that the bulk of financial aid is awarded in the form of low interest loans (which must be paid back).....and there are some grants available as well (which do not have to be paid back).

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I think we should get rid of all aid. I think it makes us all lazy. When you don't have aid it makes you fight harder to survive.
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think we should get rid of all aid. I think it makes us all lazy. When you don't have aid it makes you fight harder to survive.

So, loans (which are to be paid back) should be cut off?  Even though loans may be the only thing that allows someone to go to college versus work at Taco Bell?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
maybe....not loans. But we as a society have gotten lazy.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

So, loans (which are to be paid back) should be cut off?  Even though loans may be the only thing that allows someone to go to college versus work at Taco Bell?

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

This e-card is hilarious, yes I cannot get over the "your", LMAO! FA has nothing to do with race. Don't understand why that was put in there? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

It's the truth.  My daughter couldn't get any help because she is white, her father and I are married and her dad has a decent job.  Didn't matter one bit that she'd been supporting herself entirely for two years prior to applying.  If she had been a minority, she'd have gotten aid handed to her on a silver platter.  As it was, she had to get private loans and work her way through what schooling she has gotten so far.

And yes, Dad has a decent job, but bythe time all the taxes were taken out and we paid bills every month, there was NO money left over for ANY kind of savings - not retirement, not to buy a house, not for college for the kids.  Nothing.  That's what we get for being white and actually working for our own livings  - we get turned into financial slaves to support everyone else .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

This e-card is hilarious, yes I cannot get over the "your", LMAO! FA has nothing to do with race. Don't understand why that was put in there? 

No, it doesn't have anything to do with it. However, it makes people feel better about themselves. Quite sad actually.

cowboysgirl3227
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Loans should be available to anyone in my opinion.  I have been using them for school but I am worried that I may not qualify for them this year because my husband's income has raised significantly.  I don't know what I will do if that happens.  We cannot afford to pay my tuition out of pocket so I may have to quit and I am so close.  Hopefully I can figure something out but it does worry me.

Lisha77
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM
The same thing happened to me and I'm black!

Quoting Anonymous:

It's the truth.  My daughter couldn't get any help because she is white, her father and I are married and her dad has a decent job.  Didn't matter one bit that she'd been supporting herself entirely for two years prior to applying.  If she had been a minority, she'd have gotten aid handed to her on a silver platter.  As it was, she had to get private loans and work her way through what schooling she has gotten so far.

And yes, Dad has a decent job, but bythe time all the taxes were taken out and we paid bills every month, there was NO money left over for ANY kind of savings - not retirement, not to buy a house, not for college for the kids.  Nothing.  That's what we get for being white and actually working for our own livings  - we get turned into financial slaves to support everyone else .

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummmm except it is not true! I am Hispanic and did not qualify for jack for the same reasons your daughter didn't. Get real lady!!!

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Man, when I went to college, I got very little aid but TONS of student loans, despite amazing grades and being first generation college student.

They tell you if you're truly in need and make good grades, you'll get all these grants and scholarships but nope. Now I owe a shit ton in student loans. Oh well. I'd rather owe student loans than have credit card debt!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN