Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Irate edit!My family is going to freeze tonight.Stupid cheap heater!edit

Posted by   + Show Post
My damn heater has stopped working in the middle of a cold as heck snow storm! Our house was poorly built and has drafts going all through the house making it near impossible to keep warm. This is one of those times I wish I wasn't afraid of space heaters and. Had one.

Edit

Well maintenance man will be here in 10 min so we will see how this turns out

The maintenance man comes out fiddles with things. It kicks mildly warm air out for one min and he leaves. I check on it in five min it blowing freezing cold air!! They said they won't come to figure out what is wrong with it again until Wednesday!! Seriously!! Hell no!! I'm so pissed and whoever answers the phone better hand me the owners number because I'm calling them. Who leaves a family with four small children in a house with no heat for five days!!! And then however long it takes to order parts after that. If they stick to their guns on nothing until Wednesday I'm calling a lawyer to see what our rights are. Then I'm getting them black listed if they don't own up and fix this. Every repair takes weeks to months with these people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
209mom4you
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM

have everyone gather in one room to sleep put a blanket under the door and one thumb tacked over the door one on the window in that room and have everyone sleep close to eachother under sevral blankets.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM

The heating pad works great! Dh and I differ on room temp, so this was a great solution for me :)

Quoting casseopeia:

I've got one of these, too.  They are very safe and can heat up a whole room.  I got mine at Target for about $65.  You can also sleep with a heating pad and stay warm in the bed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bundle up! Get a portable radiator, I can't use the heating in my home so that's all we have.

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Bump for edit
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Bump
tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
They legally can not leave you in a house without heat. Tell them when you call they get it fixed today or they are paying for your family to stay in a hotel.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Depending on your lease, you can make the case that your home is uninhabitable and have your rent prorated. I would be finding someplace else to stay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:27 AM

those things rock.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bundle up! Get a portable radiator, I can't use the heating in my home so that's all we have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM

It would make a whole lot more sense to invest in a repairman than a lawyer.  Seems like common sense to me.

-JC-
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeppp. I'm a property manager for 76 units. If a heater goes, I provide space heaters until it gets fixed. I also call an.emergency HVAC plac and have them there that night or day though. No heat is illegal as its a basic necessity.

Quoting Fields456:

If they don't get the heater fixed then they are responsible for providing u an alternative. I would call them tomorrow and tell them to either fix it of u will be getting some.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I'm pretty sure any space heater is banned per our lease but I'm about to tell them to go to hell!

Quoting Fields456:

Before we had our whole hvac system replaced to even get our house halfway warm it would CPS like $800 a month ( ya not payin that). We bought several of the tower oscillating heaters. No coils show and they all have an auto cut off if the get too hot or tip over. They were around $90 each I think and if u close the door your room gets toasty.

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Free lawyer

Quoting Anonymous:

It would make a whole lot more sense to invest in a repairman than a lawyer.  Seems like common sense to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN