Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Irate edit!My family is going to freeze tonight.Stupid cheap heater!edit

Posted by   + Show Post
My damn heater has stopped working in the middle of a cold as heck snow storm! Our house was poorly built and has drafts going all through the house making it near impossible to keep warm. This is one of those times I wish I wasn't afraid of space heaters and. Had one.

Edit

Well maintenance man will be here in 10 min so we will see how this turns out

The maintenance man comes out fiddles with things. It kicks mildly warm air out for one min and he leaves. I check on it in five min it blowing freezing cold air!! They said they won't come to figure out what is wrong with it again until Wednesday!! Seriously!! Hell no!! I'm so pissed and whoever answers the phone better hand me the owners number because I'm calling them. Who leaves a family with four small children in a house with no heat for five days!!! And then however long it takes to order parts after that. If they stick to their guns on nothing until Wednesday I'm calling a lawyer to see what our rights are. Then I'm getting them black listed if they don't own up and fix this. Every repair takes weeks to months with these people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Okay so it's not me being crazy protective this is actually not normal for them to make you wait 5 days to see what wrong, order the part, & then come repair it

Quoting -JC-:

Yeppp. I'm a property manager for 76 units. If a heater goes, I provide space heaters until it gets fixed. I also call an.emergency HVAC plac and have them there that night or day though. No heat is illegal as its a basic necessity.

Quoting Fields456:

If they don't get the heater fixed then they are responsible for providing u an alternative. I would call them tomorrow and tell them to either fix it of u will be getting some.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I'm pretty sure any space heater is banned per our lease but I'm about to tell them to go to hell!

Quoting Fields456:

Before we had our whole hvac system replaced to even get our house halfway warm it would CPS like $800 a month ( ya not payin that). We bought several of the tower oscillating heaters. No coils show and they all have an auto cut off if the get too hot or tip over. They were around $90 each I think and if u close the door your room gets toasty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:59 AM

You get what you pay for.  In both cases here.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Free lawyer

Quoting Anonymous:

It would make a whole lot more sense to invest in a repairman than a lawyer.  Seems like common sense to me.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Our heat went out last year. Twice. During that time we cranked the oven all the way up and did a lot of laundry to run the dryer so that we would have a warm house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM

We have two of these. They are $300 each and are are very effective and safe. I have one upstairs and one downstairs.

EdenPUREยฎ Quartz Infrared Heater (A4136/RTL)

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Jag is exactly what we pay for. It's a benefit of my husbands job. I am not paying thousands to a repair man for a new heating system because this company won't do it. This isn't my house I'm not paying for them to get a new heating system that they admit was flawed to begin with

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Free lawyer

Quoting Anonymous:

It would make a whole lot more sense to invest in a repairman than a lawyer.  Seems like common sense to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:10 AM

No problem.  I understand.  Maybe you all will warm up in the spring. 

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Jag is exactly what we pay for. It's a benefit of my husbands job. I am not paying thousands to a repair man for a new heating system because this company won't do it. This isn't my house I'm not paying for them to get a new heating system that they admit was flawed to begin with

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Free lawyer

Quoting Anonymous:

MaskedMomma
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

we live in an old (1800s) home. Even though the downstairs windows are new the upstairs arn't. With the  heater going at full blast it still only 51-52 in here. We then covered the windows w/ plastic, and hung up thick blankets/comfortors over ALL the windows. most of which we got at goodwill. We then bought an oscilating portible heater. we got the whole house to a high of 67 last night, but it's been avging ABOUT 63.Let me tell you, those 10 degrees really make a huge differance.

oh im afraid of space heaters too. walmart sells an osculating portible heater. run it 24//7 and it's still cool to the touch.it starts to fall over and it auto shuts off. 2 of em heat up the downstairs really well(open rooms). take 1 upstairs though and shut the door...give it 15min and you go from shivvering when you walk in too considering wearing shorts!...it's REALLY nice.     except we bought 2 and one of them is 'off balance' and quit working. need to go excange that one. but they are really nice, think they were bout 50 a piece.

oh and you prob already do this but baking and cooking (how bout making a nice turkey, remember how warm the house was on thanksgiving).

-JC-
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Nope. It is a law that basic needs have to be available. Water, electric, heat (gas if its required) have to beworking. Houses without these things are considered inhabitable and the landlord can be fined.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Okay so it's not me being crazy protective this is actually not normal for them to make you wait 5 days to see what wrong, order the part, & then come repair it

Quoting -JC-:

Yeppp. I'm a property manager for 76 units. If a heater goes, I provide space heaters until it gets fixed. I also call an.emergency HVAC plac and have them there that night or day though. No heat is illegal as its a basic necessity.

Quoting Fields456:

If they don't get the heater fixed then they are responsible for providing u an alternative. I would call them tomorrow and tell them to either fix it of u will be getting some.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I'm pretty sure any space heater is banned per our lease but I'm about to tell them to go to hell!

Quoting Fields456:

Before we had our whole hvac system replaced to even get our house halfway warm it would CPS like $800 a month ( ya not payin that). We bought several of the tower oscillating heaters. No coils show and they all have an auto cut off if the get too hot or tip over. They were around $90 each I think and if u close the door your room gets toasty.

Chaoswithin
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM
When the pipes freeze they will wish they acted sooner! Are you still frozen this a.m?
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Call a repapirman yourself & charge it to your landord? I'm lucky, my daughter's dad has some experience in heaters, or brolier went out a few years ago on THE coldest night of the year, he had to go every few hours & turn it back on, by the time the guy came to fix it order the part, it was only about a day we were without heat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN