Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homeschooling Vs. Unschooling

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

I've been wanting to homeschool for years but I've always been afraid I don't have the patience to deal with it honestly... I'm really trying to find out as much about both as possible to figure out if this is the right step for my children... I'm a single mother but I work from home and can make my own schedule as to when I want to work. My son is 9 and has ADHD, he has a hard time with reading but I just can't tell if he hates school or not... My daughter is 6 but she is developmentally delayed of a preschoolers mentality and has an IEP in place.... We live in Central Florida, now can someone please explain the difference of these two things to me... If you unschool can your child have a diploma or is it a GED? I guess the same question can be asked for Homeschooling as well... 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Not sure. Neither one is for our family though.

Bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

For both unschooling and homeschooling the child can get a GED. You need to do some serious research still if you didn't know that.

JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM
A homeschooling group is a much better place for this question. I homeschool through a charter school so it's different than being independent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM
This would be a great post for the homeschooling group. There are also a lot Of parents in there who un-school or whatever it is called and they are all very nice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4two
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Thank you Captain Obvious for that stellar response... I already knew homeschooling was considered a GED but I just heard about unschooling for the first time this evening... 

Quoting Anonymous:

For both unschooling and homeschooling the child can get a GED. You need to do some serious research still if you didn't know that.

Mweddle
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I am going to homeschool next year but I am going to have a schedule.  I don't think unschooling is for me.  Unschooling (as I understand it) is all child led learning.  It sounds pretty cool and I think I will do some child led learning but we are going to try to keep her up to public school level in math and reading for sure. I would read a book about homeschooling.   I just read the Homeschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith and it was very informative. 

Mommy4two
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I posted the same question in a homeschooling group but was hoping to get some kind of a faster response from here... :-) 

Quoting Fields456:

This would be a great post for the homeschooling group. There are also a lot Of parents in there who un-school or whatever it is called and they are all very nice

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Hmmmm..... seemed like you asked the same question about homeschooling.

Quoting Mommy4two:

Thank you Captain Obvious for that stellar response... I already knew homeschooling was considered a GED but I just heard about unschooling for the first time this evening... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Well that will happen here lol. Good luck with whatever u choose

Quoting Mommy4two:

I posted the same question in a homeschooling group but was hoping to get some kind of a faster response from here... :-) 

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)