Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PA bashing........I dont get it!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What about the people on PA who work full time jobs? I am sooo thankful that we are able to get a little bit of food stamps and medicaid for the kids as DH and I both work full time and still dont make enough to make it without the help. Our gas bill to get back and forward to work alone is 460 a month. If gas had not went up as much as it has in the last 5 years we would not even be on PA. So I guess my question is this................do you think that we should not be allowed to buy snack cakes or a case of pop a momth just because we get food stamps?? Can I not buy my kids a candy bar when we go to the grocery every week? What is so wrong with that? We dont buy a ton of junk but we do treat ourselves. Not everyone on PA is lazy and just collects money from the government!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
MrsImperfect
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM
My husband has a bachelors degree and only makes $26k a year. It takes time to work your way up to a decent pay. And no he works at a decent place. No McDonald's or walmart or some shit like that either

Quoting Anonymous:

How about this perspective. The reality is that many people work full time and still need PA. Why? Most of the time because they work for some greedy corporation who is too cheap to pay  above min. wage or for a small business who can not afford to pay a living wage. I have seen women on here say 'I am not on PA and never will be because I work hard!' Yes sweetie because no waitress, retail worker or maid ever worked hard. After all, life is sooo fair that the harder you work the more money you earn right? Then there are the ones who say 'Well, if life is that hard then you need to get an education and then you will not need to use my money to feed your kids' So let's pretend that everyone who struggles does get that education. Who works at Wal-mart? Who bags your fries at the drive-thru? Who cleans your house? Who helps you find just the right dress at JCPenney's. That's right, that same person who got a degree. Now really, with all that education, who is going to be willing to work for minimum wage? So the corporations have to increase wages and then who gets bit in the ass? Everyone, because Mr. CEO sure as heck is not taking a pay cut. Good luck paying 120 dollars for a pair of Levi's and 7 dollars for a bag of Cheetos. It is easier to sit and judge than to be sympathetic to the injustices of our society.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

It seems like everyone is going to get bashed at one point or another. If you're on PA, be on PA. Use your foodstamps for whatever you want but why do you feel that you have to come to a public forum to announce your purchases for either validation or defense?  

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

This is really getting old.....I can't wait until all of the pissed off Valentine's wives.

Me tooooooooooooooo!

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM

And...if people didnt come in here and talk about how they are on PA..no one would even know. And therefore...they wouldnt get bashed!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

IF she drives a brand new car, she got it BEFORE she went on PA or it was a gift, OR she saved really, really hard. OR it's not new, just new to her. Galaxy phone? I got mine for FREE just for extending my contract again. New Couch purse? A knock off, and just telling you otherwise to piss you off. 

Geeze you bitter,  judgemental hag, I don't want to stand next to you because the karama bus is a come'n and it's gonna be a hot mess when it hits!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah well I work with a woman full time who receives food stamps, but she had a nice brand new car and just got a new galaxy cell phone and coach purse to go with it. Does that piss me off?? Damn right because I'm paying for it while I drive my 16 year old car that's paid for. So sorry I'm responsible with my money. My husband and I have an emergency fund. It's called budgeting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Some people have nothing better to do with their time, and the only way the feel good about themselves is by putting others down. I am so thankful for the little bit of extra help we get right now. I work 2 jobs,  DH works full time right now, (we just found out he will be getting laid off in a few weeks from his job of 16 years. There just isnt any work) we are both students. and the ridiculous about of child support his ex wife gets is just to much for us to keep up with at the moment. We will be back on our feet soon enough. But right now, its really hard

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
It's not the people who are down on their luck and trying to get out of a difficult situation, it's the people who take advantage of the fact that the government will provide. Its the parents who are able to get a job and work and refuse to, instead popping out more kids because they know they will get more aid. And yes, I know several. It is the people who whine that internet, cell phones, and satellite tv are necessities when they won't even put food on the table for their families. PA isn't there to be a lifestyle, it's there for a leg up and it's the people who abuse it that give everyone else a bad name.

I'm not on PA. I never have been. I'm blessed with a good paying job and job security, despite not having a college education. But I resent people like my SD's BM, who refuse to work, instead preferring to live off the state and spend their money on cigarettes, tattoos, and video games.

It used to be shameful to be on PA. Now people feel a sense of entitlement, like the government owes them something, or they're just too lazy to do anything about their situation. And that in itself is shameful. But I am not talking about the single mom who works 60 hour weeks to support her kids without the help of the father. I'm not talking about the disabled person who can't work, legitimately not just for depression or whatnot. I'm not talking about the couple who have fallen on hard times and want to better their situation, and just need a helping hand for awhile. I'm talking about those who refuse to better their situation and make PA a lifestyle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Actually you are correct she got her new car before receiving PA. Seems to me that I kind of know how much money I have each month because I budget so I would know if I could afford food and a car payment. She and I work the same position so I have a good idea Of how much she makes. Her galaxy phone was purchased last week, and she bought it. It wasn't a gift. I know this because she had talked to me about it a couple of weeks prior. This is while she admittedly owes over $900 to anothere cell phone company. I honestly don't know if the purse was a gift or not, but it's not a knock off. My problem is she is irresponsible with money and the tax payers are making up the difference. It's not right. It's called self reliance.

Quoting Anonymous:

IF she drives a brand new car, she got it BEFORE she went on PA or it was a gift, OR she saved really, really hard. OR it's not new, just new to her. Galaxy phone? I got mine for FREE just for extending my contract again. New Couch purse? A knock off, and just telling you otherwise to piss you off. 

Geeze you bitter,  judgemental hag, I don't want to stand next to you because the karama bus is a come'n and it's gonna be a hot mess when it hits!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah well I work with a woman full time who receives food stamps, but she had a nice brand new car and just got a new galaxy cell phone and coach purse to go with it. Does that piss me off?? Damn right because I'm paying for it while I drive my 16 year old car that's paid for. So sorry I'm responsible with my money. My husband and I have an emergency fund. It's called budgeting.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Do you ever think there might be reasons people on PA might have nice things? Granted, not everyone. But seriously. Im on some PA. I have a brand new HTC phone, that my grandparents were nice enough to put me on their bill so its cheaper than being on my own. I have a brand new coach purse and wallet, given to me by my mother, and I drive a decent car because my mother was nice enough to get the loan in her name but I make the payments on it. **IF** my phone wasnt on my grandparents plan, if my mother didnt give me her coach purse and wallet, and if she didnt sign the loan for my van, I wouldnt have nice things, because I know how to budget and I couldnt afford to just go out and buy that stuff, but the economy has hit my family really bad. So maybe there is a reason she has a new phone or coach purse or car. dont be so quick to judge

Quoting Anonymous:

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Quoting MrsImperfect:

My husband has a bachelors degree and only makes $26k a year. It takes time to work your way up to a decent pay. And no he works at a decent place. No McDonald's or walmart or some shit like that either

Quoting Anonymous:

How about this perspective. The reality is that many people work full time and still need PA. Why? Most of the time because they work for some greedy corporation who is too cheap to pay  above min. wage or for a small business who can not afford to pay a living wage. I have seen women on here say 'I am not on PA and never will be because I work hard!' Yes sweetie because no waitress, retail worker or maid ever worked hard. After all, life is sooo fair that the harder you work the more money you earn right? Then there are the ones who say 'Well, if life is that hard then you need to get an education and then you will not need to use my money to feed your kids' So let's pretend that everyone who struggles does get that education. Who works at Wal-mart? Who bags your fries at the drive-thru? Who cleans your house? Who helps you find just the right dress at JCPenney's. That's right, that same person who got a degree. Now really, with all that education, who is going to be willing to work for minimum wage? So the corporations have to increase wages and then who gets bit in the ass? Everyone, because Mr. CEO sure as heck is not taking a pay cut. Good luck paying 120 dollars for a pair of Levi's and 7 dollars for a bag of Cheetos. It is easier to sit and judge than to be sympathetic to the injustices of our society.

How about people realize that those minimum wage jobs were never meant to raise a family on.  They're   for college kids, high school kids, those trying to make a few extra bucks.

Those trying to raise kids on PA made the mistake of having kids before they could afford them.  Those of us who didn't make that mistake shouldn't have to pay for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)