Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PA bashing........I dont get it!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What about the people on PA who work full time jobs? I am sooo thankful that we are able to get a little bit of food stamps and medicaid for the kids as DH and I both work full time and still dont make enough to make it without the help. Our gas bill to get back and forward to work alone is 460 a month. If gas had not went up as much as it has in the last 5 years we would not even be on PA. So I guess my question is this................do you think that we should not be allowed to buy snack cakes or a case of pop a momth just because we get food stamps?? Can I not buy my kids a candy bar when we go to the grocery every week? What is so wrong with that? We dont buy a ton of junk but we do treat ourselves. Not everyone on PA is lazy and just collects money from the government!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Replies (41-47):
mommamaggi
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My neightbor and her husband both work full time, she makes min wage but she used to work in the oil insustry, laid off after the BP spill in the gulf. He makes 14 and hour (I only know that because he works with my husband) and he goes to school at night; he wanted to drop out when she lost her job but she wouldn't let him.

They get $412 a month in FS for them and their two kids. She has $20 - 22 a week taken out of her pay check in federal taxes, he has $44 taken out... it seems to me that they are paying for their own food stamps and then some.

chloesmommy777
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I think you have justified claim for PA. Who cares what haters, who are simply ignorAnuses, btw, think, anyway ;) If we are to have the availability of PA, it should be put to good use. One can't work and survive on an empty stomach,imo. So bashers aren't worth even considering on this one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I think if people are on PA they should not be allowed to buy anything junk, pop, candy,chips, steak, lobster etc. I think it should be the basics.

With that being said to probably piss someone off I also think they should allow TP and laundry soap.

I think it's ok to treat yourself on your dime but not on my dime.

Your statement about gas is ridiculous It has gone up here also & I am not on PA  to help me out. Where's my help?

crumpy_gat
by No. on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM
If you work with her fulltime, isn't she paying for it too..?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah well I work with a woman full time who receives food stamps, but she had a nice brand new car and just got a new galaxy cell phone and coach purse to go with it. Does that piss me off?? Damn right because I'm paying for it while I drive my 16 year old car that's paid for. So sorry I'm responsible with my money. My husband and I have an emergency fund. It's called budgeting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Quoting MrsImperfect:

My husband makes $13 n hr not minimal wage and still a small yearly income. So those facts arent for every person. People have been having kids young for many generations. Waiting until your financially set is ideal but not realistic. Some people just dont have the mental capacity to get decent jobs because no matter what they cant comprehend a certain educational level. They still deserve the right to try and raise a family. Thats the american dream. You take away the help the economy will riot and fall.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Thats not realistic

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

My husband has a bachelors degree and only makes $26k a year. It takes time to work your way up to a decent pay. And no he works at a decent place. No McDonald's or walmart or some shit like that either

Quoting Anonymous:

How about this perspective. The reality is that many people work full time and still need PA. Why? Most of the time because they work for some greedy corporation who is too cheap to pay  above min. wage or for a small business who can not afford to pay a living wage. I have seen women on here say 'I am not on PA and never will be because I work hard!' Yes sweetie because no waitress, retail worker or maid ever worked hard. After all, life is sooo fair that the harder you work the more money you earn right? Then there are the ones who say 'Well, if life is that hard then you need to get an education and then you will not need to use my money to feed your kids' So let's pretend that everyone who struggles does get that education. Who works at Wal-mart? Who bags your fries at the drive-thru? Who cleans your house? Who helps you find just the right dress at JCPenney's. That's right, that same person who got a degree. Now really, with all that education, who is going to be willing to work for minimum wage? So the corporations have to increase wages and then who gets bit in the ass? Everyone, because Mr. CEO sure as heck is not taking a pay cut. Good luck paying 120 dollars for a pair of Levi's and 7 dollars for a bag of Cheetos. It is easier to sit and judge than to be sympathetic to the injustices of our society.

How about people realize that those minimum wage jobs were never meant to raise a family on.  They're   for college kids, high school kids, those trying to make a few extra bucks.

Those trying to raise kids on PA made the mistake of having kids before they could afford them.  Those of us who didn't make that mistake shouldn't have to pay for it.

What's not realistic?  That someone have a job before they have kids?  That minimum wage jobs are filled with those not trying to raise a family?  I dunno - it was like that for years.  People waited to have kids until they could afford them, because they didn't get that "help' and they knew it ahead of time.

"That" American dream - that semi skilled labor can support a family, is dying with manufacturing in the Univted States.  We don't want manufacturing here - because we don't want to pay the price for the goods. (general we).  We don't want to pay $150 for a pair of shoes.  We don't want to pay $5000 for a television (approximately what it would cost to make here, with minimum wage, union rules, and so on).

But see - my parents "did" pay those prices, back in the 50's and 60's (adjusted for inflation of course).  They also didn't have tons of clothes, they had just a few things each.  They didn't have cell phones of course - but they didn't even have a PHONE.  Cost too much.  They had one car - my mother took the bus everywhere.  They also didn't have snack food (an unheard of concept), processed food.  When something broke - they fixed it.  (I'm 56, i'm not making this up).  I didn't get a toy (even a small one) for being "good."  And yes, back then things WERE made in the US.  My parents weren't highly educated, but we WERE solidly middle class, even maybe upper middle class.  We always had food, our bills were always paid.  There was just no need for so much "stuff."

So yes, we could go back to "that" American dream.  That dream had few luxuries, and when we did get them, they were saved for for a long time.  They saved - a lot.  They saved rather than getting us (or them) stuff they wanted. There were times my mother went to work for awhile, just so they COULD afford some extra things like some new clothes, or the car would need to be replaced (and they had the money saved by then, it's just that savings were NEVER to be touched, they were for true emergencies).  There were no Walmarts - things were urchased from small businesses.  No credit (except for the mortgage).

So - feel free.  Have 2 or 3 outfits for each of you.  One pair of shoes a year.  No processed foods, no snacks.  Drink water most of the time.  Save up (or get an extra job or two) when you need to buy something like a newer car (my father used to repair tv's on the side, as well as do upholestering for cars and boats).  It CAN be done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

maybe all the people who bash those on PA have never experienced what it was like to be without basic needs?? Maybe they have always had it good and don't need the help so they have to bash someone who does? IDK but I say whatever it is you need to do to take care of your family then thats what needs to be done. And besides its really no one else's business what other people buy and its no one else's business what other people do. To each his own and if you're perfect then you're not human. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

And maybe they don't know what its like to have children to take care of because their SO left them and now theyre on their own to fend for their children. they dont know what its like to have hungry children and no gas or electric? sad when other people judge

Quoting Anonymous:

maybe all the people who bash those on PA have never experienced what it was like to be without basic needs?? Maybe they have always had it good and don't need the help so they have to bash someone who does? IDK but I say whatever it is you need to do to take care of your family then thats what needs to be done. And besides its really no one else's business what other people buy and its no one else's business what other people do. To each his own and if you're perfect then you're not human. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)