Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$130,000 a year and still can't get it together.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Two years ago we made about $50,000 a year. Fast forward to now, we make more than double and we still have issues.

Ugh. More money, more problems. Living in DC doesn't help either. We used to live in Colorado.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah, that's pretty sad. we're down to about 30K right now and doing fine.

Rian33
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I know cost of living is higher in DC but if you are military (just assuming) you have free housing don't you?

Quoting Anonymous:

We were in Colorado Springs at Ft. Carson. I have nothing but good things to say about Colorado. Loved it there. It's just gorgeous and my kids were always busy.

Quoting Rian33:

We left CO because there was no work. We ended up in OK and are still paycheck to paycheck but are happier. Miss the mountains and the hunting though. What part of CO were you from?

Quoting Anonymous:

Move back to Colorado.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Wow. If DH made that much, we'd be sooooo well off here in Austin.

We live sorta comfortably on $55K a year, but its only because we're still paying off medical bills from DD2's birth, and paying off our furniture we bought (that we so desperately needed since our older stuff was falling apart). Once all that is paid off, I'm sure we'll be more comfortable...but man, $130K would be awesome.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM
The more money you make, the more money you spend. My MIL told DH and I that when I switched jobs and got a huge jump in pay and we just shrugged it off, telling her we planned on being more responsible than that. Fast forward 7 years and we are worse off debt wise than we were before I took this job and are now less than 18 months away from paying off a debt management program that we had to start because of an insane amount of credit card bills. We've learned our lesson. We can't wait to be out of debt...that's the number one strain on our marriage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

No, not really. My dad was in the AF but we lived in Korea and the Philippines. The Philippines is kind of third world so your dollar went really far. We had house girls and yard boys. I miss those days. I could sure use them now as an adult. Lol. But I couldn't afford to pay their wages here in America.

Anyway, I would say I grew up middle class. My husbands family was pretty poor.tho. The story he tells. I can't imagine and can't relate to a lot of them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you grow up poor?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM

We are no longer in the military. Dh was medically retired. We sure do miss it though.

Quoting Rian33:

I know cost of living is higher in DC but if you are military (just assuming) you have free housing don't you?

Quoting Anonymous:

We were in Colorado Springs at Ft. Carson. I have nothing but good things to say about Colorado. Loved it there. It's just gorgeous and my kids were always busy.

Quoting Rian33:

We left CO because there was no work. We ended up in OK and are still paycheck to paycheck but are happier. Miss the mountains and the hunting though. What part of CO were you from?

Quoting Anonymous:

Move back to Colorado.

tharealty2
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Dave Ramsey has some classes here locally. I did mention to Dh that I want to check one out. There are quite a few classes actually. He would come to our post on Ft Carson and Dh would never want to go. I should have just gone myself. We do need some kind of guidance at this point. I'm just sick and tired of being stressed. I know it won't last for ever but damn....

Quoting tharealty2:

70% of all Americans live beyond their means.  This obviously includes the rich, the poor and everything in between.  You should go to a financial peace university by Dave Ramsey.

I totally get it.  If you have to go by yourself - go, alot of it is things that we all knw and just don't do, but there are alot of tools and stuff to help you and alot of things you've never thought about..  Have you ever heard of the dollar/wk savings?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I'm around that state, and yep, I would be living large on that. Lol. Of course I think people spend bigger as they make bigger, and get themselves up over their head.

Quoting Anonymous:

i couldnt imagine making that much. hell 50,000 i would feel rich. im in ga though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Oh my gosh. I don't want to go there.

I'm realistic about the situation we are in. I'm not in denial at all and I want to squash it. I really cannot stand it. A part of the issue is that I have a Dh is clueless as to what we have, what bills are due and when they are due. I guess I can attribute that to my having to handle most things while he was active duty. I have paid our bills off twice. So that's not an issue for me- I know I can do it. But that was when we were making less and the bills were smaller.

I hope there is less strain in your marriage. Money can really drive a wedge there.

Quoting Anonymous:

The more money you make, the more money you spend. My MIL told DH and I that when I switched jobs and got a huge jump in pay and we just shrugged it off, telling her we planned on being more responsible than that. Fast forward 7 years and we are worse off debt wise than we were before I took this job and are now less than 18 months away from paying off a debt management program that we had to start because of an insane amount of credit card bills. We've learned our lesson. We can't wait to be out of debt...that's the number one strain on our marriage.

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
We finally made 41k this year lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)