Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

wwyd? cs question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
Ex is in prison for things, including not paying child support.

When it was first filed, he was making $14/hr. A few months later he quit. He was also supposed to pay for half of ds' medical- never did. It's been 6 years later. He's only been in prison for 2 years. He wants me to stop the support order. IMO, I don't think it's my responsibility. He had years to go back to the agency and get it lowered from $300/month to $50/month. He never did.

Should I go down there and cancel it? In the last 5 years, only times he paid cs, is when he was in prison! He thinks as soon add he gets out, he'll be thrown back in court for not paying... If he messes up one time, he'll do another year or more. Honestly, it's no skin off my back- he was never around anyways. Me and ds have been doing just fine these last 7 years- without his financial or emotional support.

Would you cancel it, to please him? Or wash your hands of it and say it's between him and the agency?

PS: only reason I really got it was cuz I filled for medicaid for ds. I had to or else ds wouldn't have been covered. I don't even know if they'll cancel the medicaid if I cancel the cs. He says it won't, but he'd probably say anything to get it canceled
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Sorry for the typos. I got fat fingers. Lol
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM
4 moms liked this
It's his responsibility I wouldn't cut it to make his life easier. Eventually he will face the music. You are dealing with the responsibility of having a child ever day. So should he.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gabriella (: on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I wouldn't.
Whether or not you can financially support your son,that money is his money! As in he deserves that money! If your ex was so worried about jail, he should have paid on time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stef1976
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM

If you are recieving state aid even medicaid then I believe its out of your hands. The only way for the order to be stopped is if his rights are terminated and then he will still be responsible to any arrearages.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
The state will come after him so he can pay the Medicaid back. You won't be able to do anything anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
They can and will cut off Medicaid if you do not cooperate with CS enforcement. I don't even think they'll let you 'cancel' it.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

As far as I know, you cannot cancel the request for child support when you recieve any form of pubic assistance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM
That's how I feel. He said he's like 13 grand in the hole... I said I was sorry, but I had to put $50 on my credit card to get boots for ds. I'm in the hole too, but at least I don't complain about it cuz I know it goes straight to ds and his well being. I haven't touched the cs account since it was opened and he only has like $1,290... And that's only BC they took his income tax one year

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

I wouldn't.

Whether or not you can financially support your son,that money is his money! As in he deserves that money! If your ex was so worried about jail, he should have paid on time.
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM

If you cancel the CS they WILL cancel the medicaid. Don't listen to him. Just let him sit his ass where it is and let him take care of his responsabilities when he gets out... including paying the back CS.  His well being is not your responsability, it is his. Sounds like it is time for him to grow up.

gramattmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt cancel it, its his son and should help support him. And if you told them you didnt want it and they went ahead and cancle it you would prob lose your medical, if you get any form of pa its one of the stipulations of getting it if you have kids and your not with the other parent

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN