Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EIC!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
Filed our taxes today. She was so shocked when I told her we wanted to opt out of EIC. She kept me telling that I NEED to take the credit. No I do not! We get by. If we had an emergency we would be okay. I'm not all "EIC IS PA" but I don't understand why they give people money. Our dollar is almost useless.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM
We've done that before, too. The lady at H&R Block looked at us like we were nuts, and I think she was a tad pissed because they get to charge you extra for filling out the eic form. (fyi....we don't go there anymore...started using my parents' accountant, going to an accountant or doing it online is a better option than going to a place like HRB or Jackson Hewitt, Liberty, etc)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this
If one qualifies for EIC, one should take it. Your pride isn't going to pay surprise car repairs or unexpected medical expenses this year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I filed mine through the military tax guys, and they wouldn't allow me to opt out.  The first few years, I didn't even know it was an option.

I'm still filing through them.  It's free and it comes insured, so if they screw up I'm not out any money.  One year when I went it alone I got "fined" $300 for putting a checkmark in the wrong box.  I was so upset.  Of course, I was 18 and living in the dorms, so it wasn't as huge a deal as it might seem now.

This is hopefully the last year we qualify for EIC anyways.  I plan to take it and use it wisely so I am debt free and building a savings.  We took a few hard hits this year with a death in the family and we traveled out for the funeral, 2 cars hit by guys without insurance ON THE SAME DAY (so we had to pay a deductible to OUR insurance to get our cars fixed), a furnace that was leaking carbon monoxide, had to replace the roof after a hailstorm/windstorm which was another huge deductible...Needless to say our savings was shot and we ended up taking out credit to cover the basics.  With the EIC, I can get caught up, replenish the savings, and hope for a kinder year.

Our ultimate goal is that 6 month's salary in savings, and this year we were off to such a good start!  After the cars, I literally cried each time something else went wrong.  My epic tear flow actually got the guy to knock a few hundred off the price of the furnace, though.  *sigh*  I was trying so hard not to cry, but when I saw the total for a mid-grade furnace big old elephant tears.  Why do the things we need most have to be so damned expensive?

Quoting Anonymous:

If one qualifies for EIC, one should take it. Your pride isn't going to pay surprise car repairs or unexpected medical expenses this year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Really? No. First we have tri-care. So no medical expense what so ever.
Second we have a nice savings from previous years EIC. so no, we do not NEED EIC. Plus my kids each have a college fund. We live below our means and do just fine.

Quoting Anonymous:

mrs.hummus
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
They must have shitty college funds if you're low income enough to qualify for eic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Second we have a nice savings from previous years EIC. so no, we do not NEED EIC. Plus my kids each have a college fund. We live below our means and do just fine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Thank you...

poietes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Good for you. I think thats awesome.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
You guys have medical expenses. You just don't feel it like civilians do. I thought the money comes out of his (or your) paycheck? I also heard that its not what it used to be. Gradually the system is changing and military personnel are starting to pay more and more out of pocket. Is any of that true?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)