Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ha! Its great, smarta$$ :P

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I work at front desk in a hotel.  We just had a guy come in and say he needed a room and that he was traveling for work but not with his company =/  *okay*  Could I give him a corp rate.  So tonight our rates are  112 plus tax and my corp rate is 104 plus tax.  He said I cant do that so I went to 92 plus tax.( I could have gone to 89 as my lowest but he was being a snobby jerk). He then tells me that he "believes he saw us on hotwire for 62 a night.  Can I use your computer it will be easier than my phone"  >=|  Yes Sir, its right around the corner.  First off, hotwire doesnt tell you WHO you are staying with.  At the toll exit we are at there is our company, a Super 8 and a Best Western. There is no way on God green Earth that our room would go that low.  So Im at front desk and I hear him print so I check the res list and there isnt anything.  He walks past and says "well I guess I dont get to stay with you tonight"  and walks out.  I will just say, that if you are going somewhere ALWAYS call the hotel (stopping in is better) and see the lowest possible rate.  If your nice and its slow I will always work with a person as much as Im allowed to get them to stay here.  We will have families that 1 will go online(priceline, hotwire expedia) and see the difference that their family pays then gets upset.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Nothing like that has ever happened here.  Our exit is the second to last with places to stay and we arent a big tourist town.  Mostly workers for the surrounding factories.  Plus dont keep very much in our drawer, and the safe is in a locked back room that we use a drop box to do cash drops and the hotel owner has an apartment here so I have someone in case of emergency.  I dont blame you though.  I dont think I could ever work in a gas station for that reason.  NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH WORKING IN A GAS STATION!  A job is a job and you have to respect people for what they do.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I got held up once...  That was enough for me...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

I remember those days...  I was a night auditor once upon a time...  Don't miss it one bit - people are idiots...

Night audit and the office work are fine.  I actually love it.  Our regulars here are great.  But someday I will tell someone off and get fired.  Front desk isnt like other places where you can get an attitude with a customer and get away with it.  EVERYONE here gets a survey of their stay and they are not afraid to exaggerated on how you acted.  Last night we had a new system update that threw all my computers into a funk.  All front desk computers would restart on their own and you couldnt get them to do anything so I had to do it all by the main station in the back office that hadnt updated yet.  So I had to shut down our server and restart then do NA to complete everything and 2 guys had walked in during the middle of all of this.  I apologized to him for having to go back and forth and gave him a nice discount.  He asks me Are you SURE you know how to work a computer?  =|    I let it slide and gave up on the system and pulled out a blank reg card.  His buddy then asks me if I know of any women here that like to get beat?!   UHHHH excuse me?  I said Im sorry I miss understood you.  He looks me in the eye and says Ya know, some women like it like that.  I only took his initials, and wrote down his card number and threw him any room.  I didnt do rapid check outs and told my boss what happened and why.  She said she didnt blame me and that was ok.  I have spooked myself here at night in the past but have never felt threatened before...

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

It was a Howard Johnson and it was off the interstate.  It was close to the "downtown" area, so not really in the best of places.  The manager lived in the penthouse on the 7th floor...  Doesn't do much good if that's all you have for security. 

Never again (I hope)...

But - I did like working at a Days Inn in a tourist town.  That was fun.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing like that has ever happened here.  Our exit is the second to last with places to stay and we arent a big tourist town.  Mostly workers for the surrounding factories.  Plus dont keep very much in our drawer, and the safe is in a locked back room that we use a drop box to do cash drops and the hotel owner has an apartment here so I have someone in case of emergency.  I dont blame you though.  I dont think I could ever work in a gas station for that reason.  NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH WORKING IN A GAS STATION!  A job is a job and you have to respect people for what they do.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I got held up once...  That was enough for me...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

I remember those days...  I was a night auditor once upon a time...  Don't miss it one bit - people are idiots...

Night audit and the office work are fine.  I actually love it.  Our regulars here are great.  But someday I will tell someone off and get fired.  Front desk isnt like other places where you can get an attitude with a customer and get away with it.  EVERYONE here gets a survey of their stay and they are not afraid to exaggerated on how you acted.  Last night we had a new system update that threw all my computers into a funk.  All front desk computers would restart on their own and you couldnt get them to do anything so I had to do it all by the main station in the back office that hadnt updated yet.  So I had to shut down our server and restart then do NA to complete everything and 2 guys had walked in during the middle of all of this.  I apologized to him for having to go back and forth and gave him a nice discount.  He asks me Are you SURE you know how to work a computer?  =|    I let it slide and gave up on the system and pulled out a blank reg card.  His buddy then asks me if I know of any women here that like to get beat?!   UHHHH excuse me?  I said Im sorry I miss understood you.  He looks me in the eye and says Ya know, some women like it like that.  I only took his initials, and wrote down his card number and threw him any room.  I didnt do rapid check outs and told my boss what happened and why.  She said she didnt blame me and that was ok.  I have spooked myself here at night in the past but have never felt threatened before...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM
lmfao.That is only common sense.Or so I thought.My husband is x military.When we we're traveling to his next duty station I would always plan ahead.Which hotel is best with good rates.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

lmfao.That is only common sense.Or so I thought.My husband is x military.When we we're traveling to his next duty station I would always plan ahead.Which hotel is best with good rates.

I will have people come in and when I ask for a license or id they wont even show me their military/police and Ill see it in their wallet and Ill ask.  (I dont care if your a vet. or current, police or fire fighter.  Your serving your country and community and I WILL give you a discount!  )  Thank you for your hubbys service!  If were dead like we are tonight I will automatically go as low as possible if its better than our local or gov rate.

mommaoftwo
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:14 AM

what is a local rate?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Quoting mommaoftwo:

what is a local rate?

We have our best available rate  that is standard room rate

then aaa and aarp state and fed gov rates

then we have rates worked out with companies that can vary (companies who have more people who stay here/stay for long times have better rates than others) 

local corp rate is for places that dont have anything worked our with us but gives SOME TYPE of discount.

For instance our rate tonight is 112(plus tax)  a charity in town .  Its a hyperbaric chamber and intensive therapy center.  People from all over the county come here to get treatment and they will be here with us for extended periods of time.  We give them the employee rate because thats WEEKS of rev coming in.

Plus if the hospital calls or the sheriffs office calls  and someone was in an accident or being released from the hospital I will give them a nice discount and a late check out.  Thats one of those things where they werent PLANNING on something happening and at the time being generous can mean A LOT to someone.

teal.blaze
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:39 AM

You don't stay at hotels often, do you? That's a typical rate. Normal rate for a hotel (especially of it has a pool, fitness center, in-room fridges, etc.) is generally between $79 and $120 depending on day of the week, discounts, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

whuddya work at the hilton? 100 is a lot for one night

mommaoftwo
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Ahh, I see, thanks for explaining.

Dh gets gov rates for work, but I always assumed other then that, the price was the price.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommaoftwo:

what is a local rate?

We have our best available rate  that is standard room rate

then aaa and aarp state and fed gov rates

then we have rates worked out with companies that can vary (companies who have more people who stay here/stay for long times have better rates than others) 

local corp rate is for places that dont have anything worked our with us but gives SOME TYPE of discount.

For instance our rate tonight is 112(plus tax)  a charity in town .  Its a hyperbaric chamber and intensive therapy center.  People from all over the county come here to get treatment and they will be here with us for extended periods of time.  We give them the employee rate because thats WEEKS of rev coming in.

Plus if the hospital calls or the sheriffs office calls  and someone was in an accident or being released from the hospital I will give them a nice discount and a late check out.  Thats one of those things where they werent PLANNING on something happening and at the time being generous can mean A LOT to someone.

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Duh thank you I forgot about that.  Yes we also have a fitness center business center laundry facility and each room has a fridge and microwave.

Quoting teal.blaze:

You don't stay at hotels often, do you? That's a typical rate. Normal rate for a hotel (especially of it has a pool, fitness center, in-room fridges, etc.) is generally between $79 and $120 depending on day of the week, discounts, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

teal.blaze
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep. Our local comfort inn actually drives the prices way up for football games and such. It was over $300 a night the whole weekend that our MAC school played a Big 10 school!! This post interested me because I'm in school for my hospitality degree :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Duh thank you I forgot about that.  Yes we also have a fitness center business center laundry facility and each room has a fridge and microwave.

Quoting teal.blaze:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)