Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made my dd stay home from work tonight

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 53 Replies
With the icy rain we had today and the freezing temps... I didn't let her go to work from 5-10pm. I just had this strong feeling about her driving on the icy roads. She said she could've gotten a ride from a coworker but I still didn't let her go. We live in a rural area and there aren't many cars on the road at 10pm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnookiBoo
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM
BUMP
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Heatherp23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I don't even drive when it's icy outside. I also can't drive at night because I have night blindness and I can't see the roads at all, especially when it's raining so we rarely go anywhere when its raining, dark, or icy. Even if that means missing a few hours of work.

1234abcd4321
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this

no driving on icy roads? not from new england i take it?  ;)

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Sounds like your heart is in the right place. If I were to do that myself, I would have skipped work for months!

Jessica45
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I don't blame you. I would have had my daughter stay home as well. I'm from NY and use to the snow and ice but I avoid driving in it whenever possible.  Before kids, when I worked I wouldn't go into the office if the roads were icy. Lucky for me my boss was really understanding about it and didn't blame me at all for staying home.  

lovenMyfamily
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Gotta go with your gut! :) In bad weather I don't like to go out in the evening... my kids are not old enough to drive, but I know that gut feeling very well. You probably did the right thing. Better to be safe than sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this

What excuse did she give when she called in?? Mommy won't let me drive??

I know that when I was in management, if that were the excuse I was given about why someone wasn't coming in, that someone would either have their hours cut in half or no job.....

If she is old enough to be working, she is old enough to drive safely in the weather conditions or to get a ride like she suggested... overprotective much?

smartin27284
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I made my husband go get my kids from school earlier than they were supposed to get out today. The ice wasn't suppose to start until after 12 here and schools were on a 3 hour early dismissal. Well it started icing at 9 this morning and I made my husband go get them because I didn't trust they would be safe at 11:45 on the roads. I see nothing wrong with what you did. I would have done the same. I don't drive on ice either.

BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Our roads are icy here too. I live in central nc, so this isnt a usual thing for us what so ever.

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I wouldn't have either. We are out in a rural area and when it freezes I don't go anywhere because no matter which way we go there are several small bridges Same goes for flooding
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured