Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You don't have to be poor to get PA *edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

Yes, another post about public assistance. I just wanted to point out to all those assuming only poor people can get PA that the guidelines are different for every state. In Oklahoma (where I'm at) you qualify for food stamps and Medicaid if you make 130% of the federal poverty level or less. For WIC, it's 182%. So for example, we can get WIC for my daughter but not food stamps or Medicaid. We are not "poor" but we do get a little assistance from the government.

Anon so I don't get hate messages. Just wanted to make a point that I think many ignore or are unaware of.

edit

I want to point out that the difference between 130% and 182% for the number of people in my household is $10 k, which for us is a large amount of money. I accept that we are lower income but for our area we still make a decent amount.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Ya tell me about it,my dh made over $5,000 this month and thats after taxes and we still qualify for fs and medicaid for our children. not much but still..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh we make almost 30k a year and still get over $300 in fs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM
We make $25000 a year and don't qualify
xxxTrishy518xxx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Ny is bullshit. lol. I have no Job. I got fired because I kept missing work after I was diagnosed in the hospital with congestive heart failuire... can't get disability because i'm getting heart surgery, so my valve and congestive heart failure will be fixed, so it's not a life thing.. and they still won't help me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I think your definition and my definition of poor are different.
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I think they need to redefine PA then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Yeah, that's kind of the point of it.

singlemama0905
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Hell $1500/month here and ya lose all but like 50 bucks in FS. Definately not worth the hassle of dealing with the state to get that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM
yea you are considered poor in your State. Rich people don't qualify for assistance.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

You're poor compared to me, and many others that are not on welfare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured