Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long would you wait before taking a loved one off life support?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM
  • 2 Replies

my aunt shared a link about a little boy that drowned in the washing machine, it was a horrible tragedy one that could have so easily happen to anyone and the story got me thinking...

the little boy was taken to the hospital where he was placed on life support, which i guess is pretty common. his parents where hoping for a miracleto happen. like he would wake up on his own or something which i know anyone would be hoping for if this happened to them. after 24 hours and not getting what they hoped for the parents then decided that they just couldn't see there child like that any more so they took him off of it so that he could just die. now i do not know how long it takes for a brain dead person off of life support to die, but this little boy lived over 6 hours after they unhooked him. his parents where with him the whole time, still hoping for that miracle. but he never woke up and died later that day.

now i cant help but wonder if maybe him living that long off the machine was the miracle they were hoping for. i mean from how the story read the boy was stable on the machines and he did live for some time after they turned them off. the parents where told that there was lung damage and that he wasn't strong enough to make it off the machines, so i have to wonder just why take the child off them if keeping him on was his best chance of recovering?

now i know it was there choice in the matter and maybe they felt that leaving him on it was hurting him, maybe there was brain damage that they did not think he would be able to over come.... i dont know what there reason where really. but frankly i think i would have given it more time then 24 hours to see if a person would pull though or not...

i know that its a touchy subject and that a lot of people have mixed feelings about this.... but if your faced with this how long would you wait before pulling the plug? do you think that if there is a chance they would pull through that you would wait it out, or would you just give up if it doesn'thappen when you expect it to?  if there was a chance that the person would have brain damage or need extra care would that sway your decision on rather they should be kept alive?

i am just wondering want others would do if they had to make the choice to do something like this...

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
xtina8817
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM
With lung damage, it was probably irreparable. In that case I agree with the parents. In most cases I think a month or 2 is long enough. After that if they come back at all, they aren't themselves. Idk. It is hard...and my mind may change if ever in that situation
aimeegreen4ever
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM
If it were my child, I'd wait and pray my heart out for much much longer. But I've never been on that situation and hopefully I will never have to be. I also don't know what the medical professionals told them... I wouldn't be ready to let go yet after 24hrs. I'd hold out hope longer......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured