Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My heart breaks for my dd *new photo on pg 7*

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM
  • 113 Replies
My dd is 5 and in kindergarten. She is an incredibly lively, friendly, loving little girl. She is also absolutely gorgeous. When she was born her head measured in the 100th percentile (I believed it too because I birthed her completely naturally ouch!! Lol). I always thought she'd just grow into it, and in a way she has, but it still measures around the 95th percentile. I thought that by the time she was old enough for kids to start noticing stuff like that she would've grown into it. I was wrong. She's been coming home from school crying every day for about 2 weeks because her classmates call her "big head" and tease her about it. She used to be so confident, but now she just talks about how ugly she is. Her daddy and I tell her constantly how beautiful she is, but she acts like she doesn't believe us. It's breaking my heart and I don't know what to tell her. Any advice?

First of all, THANK YOU so much to everyone for the incredibly sweet comments. I'm going to show them to her tomorrow. I'm sure it will brighten her spirit. Also, since most of you said her head doesn't look big I added a new pic on pg 7. She's wearing an adult sized hat that fits her perfectly. I think her head and everything else about her is absolutely beautiful, but I think it will mean a lot to her that all of you think so too :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
o.O....
by Cara on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep letting her know that you love her and how beautiful she is.
If it were my daughter I would teach her a few clever comebacks, like how it's too bad that the other children's brains are so small otherwise they could come up with something better than "big head", but I find that advice isn't always helpful for most parents ;).

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:41 AM
7 moms liked this

Bump!! This is her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I did tell her that her head had to be big to fit all of her extra brains since she's so smart. I did get a smile out of that one :-)

Quoting o.O....:

Just keep letting her know that you love her and how beautiful she is.
If it were my daughter I would teach her a few clever comebacks, like how it's too bad that the other children's brains are so small otherwise they could come up with something better than "big head", but I find that advice isn't always helpful for most parents ;).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o.O....
by Cara on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM
4 moms liked this

She's adorable! And her head looks perfect to me.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Bump!! This is her.

aaavasquez
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Kids can be so mean I have a ds that has a big head we've always just told him he has a big head cause he has a bigger brain than everyone else. It's worked so far he's 9 now. Hope your dd feels better
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommieBre21
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM

She doesn't have a big head! She is beautiful!

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Bump!! This is her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you could give her some bangs? Not trying to be rude but that has always helped me hide a big forehead. Good luck! She is very pretty and all those kids parents need to be talked to IMO as well as the teacher
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Thank you :-)

Quoting o.O....:

She's adorable! And her head looks perfect to me.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Bump!! This is her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Just continue to be supportive. My mom played down my flaws that I was picked on for in school. She told me to get over it, because it was nothing. I never felt like she understood how I felt and stopped trying to express my feelings. Let her express herself as much as possible and reassure her that she looks different but is still beautiful anyways. I hope someone else will have something better for you to help her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM
I have told her that and it's the only thing that makes her smile ;-)

Quoting aaavasquez:

Kids can be so mean I have a ds that has a big head we've always just told him he has a big head cause he has a bigger brain than everyone else. It's worked so far he's 9 now. Hope your dd feels better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)