Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i get my baby to take formula?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

hes breastfed, he wont take formula. i've tried everything. he hates the taste and wont. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheymann
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Why do you want him to take formula? 

Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:15 AM

pump & see if he'll take that. I BF'd all 5 of mine, would take pumped milk from a bottle & some just wouldn't

babygomez
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Ummm just keep offering it. I don't know, my kids ate formula from birth. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:23 AM

If you're just trying to ween him to formula then you'll have to do it gradually.

On the other hand, if it's for medical reasons and you just CAN'T BF anymore I hate to say it but you'll have to just keep offering the formula until he accepts it, and he will when he's hungry enough.

A dear friend of mine had to overnight stop BFing due to a change in her medication. It was horrible for her (mom) because she strictly BFed all five of her children and her DD was her last and a miracle baby due to ovarian cancer.. It took several days before her DD would accept the formula without a fight.

Seriously, if you don't have to just stop BFing.. make it a gradual thing over a few days... like.. for a couple days, pump and mix (depending on his age) 1 oz of formula to the rest of the bottle breast milk.. then after 2 or three days, increase the formula by an ounce.. keep going until it's all formula and no breast milk..

Otherwise, you're going to have a real fight on your hands and it's going to be really hard emotionally on both of you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:31 AM

its s medical reason ...i dont pump anything

Quoting Anonymous:

If you're just trying to ween him to formula then you'll have to do it gradually.

On the other hand, if it's for medical reasons and you just CAN'T BF anymore I hate to say it but you'll have to just keep offering the formula until he accepts it, and he will when he's hungry enough.

A dear friend of mine had to overnight stop BFing due to a change in her medication. It was horrible for her (mom) because she strictly BFed all five of her children and her DD was her last and a miracle baby due to ovarian cancer.. It took several days before her DD would accept the formula without a fight.

Seriously, if you don't have to just stop BFing.. make it a gradual thing over a few days... like.. for a couple days, pump and mix (depending on his age) 1 oz of formula to the rest of the bottle breast milk.. then after 2 or three days, increase the formula by an ounce.. keep going until it's all formula and no breast milk..

Otherwise, you're going to have a real fight on your hands and it's going to be really hard emotionally on both of you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:31 AM
I wouldn't either, that shit is nasty.
happy41ce
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Have you thought of getting a donor for milk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Have you tried hand-expressing? And are you sure the flange fits properly?

Try a bottle that's meant to simulate breast flow. Normal bottles flow much more quickly, which can be an issue for bf babies.

Quoting Anonymous:

its s medical reason ...i dont pump anything

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Try getting someone else to feed him. He doesn't want a bottle from you cause he knows you have the good stuff.

Once he gets used to it, you can start feeding him again.

When he gets hungry he will eat. It's instinctive!

The playtex nursers worked best with my breastfed babies (do they still make those?). The nipple was more like "me" I guess.

NaturesMuse
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Lusch is right... since it's medical reasons and you HAVE to stop bfing... have dad or someone else keep offering the bottle and try not to be in the room whenever possible...

If that's not possible... it's going to be very hard on both of you but just keep offering that bottle every few min.. he's going to fight and cry and push it away and everything else but eventually he WILL take it... and don't beat yourself up too much about it...

Seriously, if you need someone to cry to, and you will, you are welcome to message me if you don't have anyone handy.. I went through it right along with my friend when she went through this three years ago.

(not sure why my last post came up anon...)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured