Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think nurse-ins are an effective way to get the public to become more accepting of breastfeeding in public?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 268 Replies

Nurse-Ins Are an Awful Way to Fight for the Right to Breastfeed in Public

Posted by Deborah Cruz on January 25, 2013 

nurse-inHave you ever gotten kicked out of a store for breastfeeding? Gotten dirty looks while breastfeeding your newborn at a restaurant? Or maybe you were minding your business on an 18-hour flight and someone asked you to cover up your breasts while nursing your baby. What can you do but oblige your uncomfortable hosts? Well, many new moms are organizing and staging nurse-ins.

That's one way to get the public's attention.

When a restaurant manager says you can’t breastfeed in her establishment, go back the next day with 100 of your closest nursing friends and  sit down and breastfeed your babies all at the same time. That'll show 'em. Right?

I'm not so sure.

I worry that with all those exposed breasts, people are missing the point.

Moms should be allowed to nurse their babies anywhere. You feed a baby when she's hungry -- and if we mothers are expected to run home every single time our child cries out to be fed, we'll be trapped in our homes for most of our babies' early years. That is not fair to the mothers. We are nourishing our babies not exposing our breasts.

But while I believe in the right to protest, I don’t agree that forcing patrons to watch you nurse to make your point is the way to go. It’s one thing for one mother to be nursing her child someplace; it’s quite another when there's an organized drove of nursing mothers descending upon an establishment.

I mean, if you need to feed your baby, by all means feed your baby. But purposely going in there to feed in protest is basically shoving your beliefs down anyone within eyeshot's throat.

Some people are a little more modest and don’t care if you breastfeed in public or even notice but once you are standing there saying look at me, my breast are exposed and I am feeding my baby, FUCK YOU, that's combative. And then the focus becomes about women being combative rather than doing what comes naturally. The victims of the discrimination become the aggressors.

Moms, in all honesty, I think it would be more productive to breastfeed when you need, wherever you need, stand your ground and if you really want to hurt the business, protest in front of the business and inform their customers that they are not breastfeeding friendly; boycott their stores. Hit them in their pocketbooks and they will pay attention.

Do you think nurse-ins are an effective way to get the public to become more accepting of breastfeeding in public?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
16 moms liked this
No. I don't think outrageous, in your face tactics are an effective way to normalize breastfeeding in public.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I definitely dont think its outrageous. people need to know it is completely normal. because it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
No, I don't. I avoided target on the nurse in day even though I am a nursing mother because there are less confrontational ways to normalize breastfeeding.
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
6 moms liked this

Forcing your beliefs on anyone usually has the opposite effect.

These moms need hobbies.

italk2rox
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
4 moms liked this

I am 100% for feeding your baby however a person wants. I do not think anyone should be rude to either party. I breastfed two of my children and I am a shy person so I always covered up. I don't mind a woman breastfeeding and accidentally having a nip show but I think it's kinda crazy for her to be all crazy about it and just let the whole world see, flopping her tits around. Those people I think do it because they WANT the attention. I also think it's going to be hard to change people's views on what "boobs are actually for." So many people see them as sexual fun bags and not for feeding a baby. There is a time and a place for everything of course. When you're going into labor, a vagina is a passage way for a baby to exit, not a penis to penetrate. When a baby is hungry, a breast is for him to get nutrition, not for your husband to man handle. But too many people have forgotten all this and now everything is sexual. Think about how many innocent things we may say in our daily lives and someone might respond with "that's what she said" lol or something of that matter.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this

No.   It is just a bunch of whiny assed moms.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

No...I think they make bfing mommies look crazy.  Our country already looks at anyone who bfs past a month like they're loony...why give 'em more to laugh about?

ZanderandBella
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's doing the opposite of what they are trying to say. It's causing those that don't like it to hate it even more. There is a major difference in one person bf to a entire group. It's shown in the past that it's done nothing but given more money to the business that you are trying to make a point to.

BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
6 moms liked this

I support nurse-ins because of the idiocy and ignorance of the general public.  Equating breasts with genatlia is the most ridiculous notion I have ever heard of.  People need to shut up and NEVER bother a nursing mother, no matter where she is, or how much boob is out.  I'm also of the mindset that woman should be allowed to walk around topless, because breasts are NOT private parts IMO.  

xoxoDanicaxoxo
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)