Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Alcoholic hepatitis **edit**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Does anyone have any medical experience, or personal experience with this illness and can explain it to me?

I could google, but id like firsthand knowledge.

My husband is 32 and may have this. He is an alcoholic. He is quitting this weekend, starting today, to see if the pain goes away.

I just want to understand.

**edit**

he does not have any health insuranceand he makes very little. Hecannot stay anywhere inpatient and we cant afford much else. He sawadocto, got aprescriptioon or xanax to helpwith the nerves part of detoxing and thats about all we can do unless the pain doesnt go away when he quits.

I wish he had more options, but he doesnt.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM
No help here but here's a bump! Hope ya figure it out and he can beat his addiction. My stbxdh is also an alcoholic but has no intentions to quit. :-/
Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

no I don't be heres a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

No help here but here's a bump! Hope ya figure it out and he can beat his addiction. My stbxdh is also an alcoholic but has no intentions to quit. :-/

He has saidplenty how he wants ro quit and has tried afew times. He is miserable, and he hates it.

I hopehe can do it. He wants so much to be better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Yes. I've been an ICU RN for 9 yrs. this is a common patient in our unit. He needs to quit drinking ASAP , and follow his doctor's recommendations closely. This can be very lethal if not taken seriously. Many of my patients need liver transplants down the road but only qualify if they have been sober for at least a certain period- and prove it via blood chemistry. I'm assuming he's had liver biopsies? Good luck, and hope he gets the support he needs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Bump for answers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Well he's got you to support him so he can beat it if he puts forth the effort. My stbxdh attempted to quit once over the summer, he actually went through a short rehab/AA program but didn't finish it and only quit for a couple months. :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

He has saidplenty how he wants ro quit and has tried afew times. He is miserable, and he hates it.

I hopehe can do it. He wants so much to be better.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM

My dad has this. Since he quit drinking, he has felt 100 million times better. He looks better too. Your DH HAS to stop drinking if he has it. He will drink himself to death if he does not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. I've been an ICU RN for 9 yrs. this is a common patient in our unit. He needs to quit drinking ASAP , and follow his doctor's recommendations closely. This can be very lethal if not taken seriously. Many of my patients need liver transplants down the road but only qualify if they have been sober for at least a certain period- and prove it via blood chemistry. I'm assuming he's had liver biopsies? Good luck, and hope he gets the support he needs.

He has always had low liver function for aout ten years now. He didnt drink until around five years ago(caused liver damage asa teen and very young adult). He drinks about a twelve pack a day, sometimes more, t not unless he is up gaming or sometmg.

Anyhow, he has started having ceertain symptoms, like this terrible pain that is not in the miscle in his chest, not on the side of his heart, and says it huurts when he sneezes, coughs, breathes, etc. he can do push ups and it doesnt really bother it as much as thosethings. His tummy where his liver is is very swollen and it is obvious. He has lost almost all apetite. Example, yesterday, he woke up at 8:30 am, went to sleep at 1:30 am, and he ate a small serving of eggplant parm with no pasta around ten pm... Thats all.

He is always fatigued, but hehas issues sleeping.

His do tor told m tostop drinking and see if the pain in his chest goes away. He has begun taking a super b complex and a vitamin c supplement daily. Hopefully something gives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM

My BIL died from this. He wouldn't quit drinking though.

toopicky429
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM
This, except I never worked ICU. I did work on a cardiac step down unit for 8 years. I do not recommend him going through detox at home though. Depending on his current condition that could be dangerous. You should consult your doctor to see if they want him admitted for treatment. Good luck and prayers!

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN