Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Update: I lied on my resume and got the job. Now background check will ruin everything.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies

Initial Post:

WARNING LONG POST!  

First let me start off saying that I KNOW lying on my resume is WRONG!  Taking it so far as to continue that lie on an application is double wrong!  I KNOW!  I was desperate, really really desperate!  Now I'm feeling extremely guilty and fearful that my employer will find out and fire me.   Since the job requires that I relocate my entire family to a city where the cost of living is higher, I'm scared to death that I will get caught and get fired soon after arriving. 

The Lie:  I stretched out the dates of my employment by 1 year.  I actually made it seem like I was still working there.  I KNOW, STUPID DECISION!  I was NOT getting ANY CALL backs with a resume showing I was not currently working and hadn't worked for a year. Desperation set in after trying for so long, an not seeing any results.

The Reason: When my kids were first born my mom took care of them for in exchange for housing until she one day decided she wouldn't do it anymore.  To this day I'm still confused on why she stopped helping us.  So I left my job because the cost of daycare for 2 small children was ridiculous and would have taken my entire check every week.  I would have been working just to pay a stranger to love on my kids.  So for the last year I've been a SAHM. Until...

The Desperation: After leaving my job to take care of our kids, my husband worked 3 jobs just to stay on top of our bills. He was a trooper about it - working everyday of the week - sometimes at all 3 places just to make it.  He rarely had a day off.  Even if he had a day off from one job he would still have to report to another - so it was very rare for him to have 24 hours off.  We were barely making it by each month and then he got laid off from 1 job and  2 months later another job closed for 4 months for remodeling. We were already feeling the pinch of losing job no. 2, so now without job no. 3 we are are really starting to fall apart!  

The Plan: For me to get a job, and do whatever it takes to make it work! The hubby and I were going to try tag team parenting until we made enough for daycare or until they start school which is 3 years away . Going on public aid is not an option.  I have degree that I worked really hard for and I am not going to become a statistic.  

The Outcome:  I have a landed a REALLY GOOD job, but now risk losing it because of my untruthfulness.  I will say that the guilt and fear over my lie is hurting me more than the rejection of not getting call backs for an intial interview.  It's eating me up inside.  

The Questions: Have you ever lied on a resume/application to get a job?   SAHMs, how hard is it to get a job after making the ultimate sacrifice of leaving a career to raise your kids?  Should I fess up to my mistake and risk losing the job for sure?  Have any of you ever lied to get the job, got caught or explained the reason for your lie and were able to keep the position?  PLEASE LADIES DON'T BEAT me up with your judgements!  I'm doing enough of that myself.  I am after all a mom just like you, and I would do anything to provide for my family -  just like you! 

UPDATE: I  told them what I had done and my reason for doing it.  They were understanding and wanted to complete the background check even after all I told them.  I got the job and now my family is moving on to a better financial situation!!!!   I definitely learned my lesson and will never put myself through anything like this again.    Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement! 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Are you sure you're educated? Seems someone with your brains would know better than to lie!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM
11 moms liked this
I doubt they will find out, if they do, act surprised... like you gt confused on the year. If you haven't worked in a really long time, it will be very believable.

I doubt they will fire you over that. As long as previous employers give you good references and you weren't let go for some thing bad, they will probably overlook it, or just chalk it up to a mistake

I think most people fudge dates some. Like I said, just act like you messed up on the year
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Haha
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
No idea. Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You should have marked the "no you may not contact my current employer" option. Lots of people don't want their jobs to know they are searching elsewhere for employment.

Background checks won't tell about your employment. That's criminal. Or do you mean reference checks?
lovegrandbaby
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I have not lied on resume/application, but I have been out of work for 7 years (helped mother take care of father before he passed).  I have been diligently looking for work for last 5 years - grocery stores, dollar stores, walmart, secretarial jobs (i have associates degree for this and many years experience), work from home employment, etc.  I haven't gotten one phone call.  I know alot has to do with my age (55), but I do believe there is alot of discrimination too.  I would probably say to be honest, because if you move your family and they find out and fire you, you will be worse off

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

No. I have never lied on my resume. I leave unnecessary jobs off of it, but I don't lie. For yeah, companies WILL FIND OUT.

Fallaya
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM
This.

Quoting Anonymous:

I doubt they will find out, if they do, act surprised... like you gt confused on the year. If you haven't worked in a really long time, it will be very believable.

I doubt they will fire you over that. As long as previous employers give you good references and you weren't let go for some thing bad, they will probably overlook it, or just chalk it up to a mistake

I think most people fudge dates some. Like I said, just act like you messed up on the year

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM
4 moms liked this
So the only thing you really lied about was the year? I thought you meant your résumé says your a NASA scientist and you've only really flipped burgers. Just tell them you mixed up the dates.
Soon2bMami.
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
This!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)