Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling all diabetics and CM "doctors"

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 46 Replies
I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes a week and a half ago. I am 7 months pg.

I have been counting carbs, trying to get some exercise. I have been under some stress, but am trying to relax.

My numbers are all over the place. I test 4 times a day, and some are great. But I just tested after breakfast (1 bowl of cereal!) and I was at 229!

Any other ideas for how to keep my numbers down? I am trying very hard to stay off meds if I can...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rgba
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Anyone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_ClearFruit_
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I have type1. But take insulin. Since you don't need meds, maybe after each meal drink water. Hopefully that can help. Not really sure since I use meds to correct my sugars. What type of milk is it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kristen.Marie
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM
What was your fasting blood sugar when you woke up, before eating anything???
egyptian_mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM
What cereal?
rgba
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM
In the cereal? It was whole milk, but not very much. I did eat bfast late, maybe that did it :(

Quoting _ClearFruit_:

I have type1. But take insulin. Since you don't need meds, maybe after each meal drink water. Hopefully that can help. Not really sure since I use meds to correct my sugars. What type of milk is it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Quoting Kristen.Marie:

What was your fasting blood sugar when you woke up, before eating anything???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM

How long after eating did you wait to test?

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Cereal can have a lot of sugar in it, even unsweetened cereal. It can spike your sugar fast.  Look for hidden sugars, white flour, stay away from it as much as possible.  If you had juice or coffee with sugar or cream that could do it too.  Whole grain cereal is better than regular cereal but even that can spike it quick because most cereals are made with more sugar than you would think. Good luck. Good low sugar diets and you will get tons of ideas.

km1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies. I could never get them controlled with diet and exercise. I ended up on insulin both times.

One thing I do remember is cereal always threw my numbers off no matter what kind it was. Try eating something different for breakfast and see if that helps. Also, when my numbers were high I would go for a walk or do some yoga and that would bring it down some..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN