Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

rude inconsiderate lying B($&@

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 135 Replies
My sil invited us to her sd's birthday party. She failed to mention that the party would include a sermon. Who ever heard of a sermon at a birthday party? There was no warning. They told the guests to go into the dining area for the cake. Then, her brother gave a 15 minute service about god, before they brought out the cake. Shhie pulled me aside later to complain that I took my children out of the room until he was done preaching.

She knows we aren't Christian, and we don't want anyone pushing any religion on our

children.

What would you have said to her?

If you're Christian, imagine that the sermon was another religion, and give your feelings based on that.

Thanks

For those saying that I'm overreacting, please say why you think that. Btw, the title was extreme just to get you to open it.

We teach our children about different religions in a neutral setting. We do not allow ourselves or others to tell them that xxx is the only way. Since that was the message he was giving, I removed my kids from the room. Sil is aware of our views on this subject, and should not have yelled at me for doing what dh and I have decided is best for our children.
I don't see quietly leaving as disrespectful. I do think her not mentioning the sermon was. It was extremely rude to yell at me about it as well
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are over reacting.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this

If you quietly left the room - Good for you! I'm not very nice when it comes to pushy people so I probably would've said something rude. 

KristyKat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM

She consider it a gift.  Children unaware of christian teachings (mine included) don't know to be quiet and sit still during stuff like that, and I would have done the same! My mom is always getting us religious stuff for the holidays.

Tiff_R_92
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Pretty much

Quoting Miller0305:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have told her to fuck off.

ecerka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this
In life they will encounter all different religions. to me it wouldn't have been a big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
4 moms liked this

I would have told her sorry if she's offended but that's her problem. You have every right to do what you did, and if I practiced another religion, I would have probably done the same. I'm a Christian, but I don't feel it's right for me to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, regardless.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I think you are overreacting a bit,  but I have never heard of having a sermon at a b-day party either so that's kind of weird!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Because we left the room? How is that overreacting?

Quoting Miller0305:

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM
You're overreacting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)