Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My step kids won't be getting anything from my late DH

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

I would give them an equal share of the money

I would give them some money

I wouldn't give them any money

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1931

View Results

DH died a month ago. He left $750,000 in life insurance. We have a home and 2 cars which are in my name too so of course they go to me. The life insurance policy is set up to go to me. My SK think that they should get part of it. They are both grown, I have 2 kids with my late DH who are 3 and 6 so I feel that money should go to helping to raise them. My DH paid a crazy amount of child support plus took really good care of my step kids, bought them both a car on their 16th birthdays and put them through college (they got scholorships but he paid for everything the scholorships didn't pay plus helped them with living expenses). I feel that have gotten all they need/ should get from their dad already. Their father left them a few trinkets each but as far as money, he left them nothing. My way of thinking is that this money is just to give my children the same things that my late DH already gave my step children.

I know what I am going to do but I just wondered what other's opinions are.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
atyou
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM
4 moms liked this
He was their father. I'd be gracious and generous.

Quoting Anonymous:

My way of thinking is that this money will just help my kids get everything my late DH gave to his children already

Quoting atyou:

I'd share, dude.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NVL0707
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I agree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM

In my opinion it doesn't matter what he did before he died for them, they should get part of the money(I say an the same amount your kids with him get). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I would share a little at least. 

fairyjester
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
11 moms liked this

you seem like a very selfish person.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
10 moms liked this
I think you should give them some money maybe 5-10 thousand apiece? But the rest should go to raising your younger children. Setting up college funds and the like.
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
9 moms liked this
You're going to get crucified in here. This group is extremely anti-stepmom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM

My kids or the step kids? I will for my kids, the step kids are in their 20s and they have both finished college (they got scholarships but DH paid for everything the scholarships didn't cover and their living expenses)

Quoting vicki77433:

I would set up a college fund for the kids.

KME3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd share. I'm not saying give them half but I'd probably throw a few their way...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
71 moms liked this

Tell the step-kids that their dad wanted the money to go to you and you are honoring his wishes, end of story.  He had the ability at the time of setting up the policy (and anytime afterwards before death) to name the kids as additional beneficiaries, but he didn't.  He wanted the money to go to his wife to help with living expenses and expenses related to raising the little ones.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)