Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My step kids won't be getting anything from my late DH

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

I would give them an equal share of the money

I would give them some money

I wouldn't give them any money

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1931

View Results

DH died a month ago. He left $750,000 in life insurance. We have a home and 2 cars which are in my name too so of course they go to me. The life insurance policy is set up to go to me. My SK think that they should get part of it. They are both grown, I have 2 kids with my late DH who are 3 and 6 so I feel that money should go to helping to raise them. My DH paid a crazy amount of child support plus took really good care of my step kids, bought them both a car on their 16th birthdays and put them through college (they got scholorships but he paid for everything the scholorships didn't pay plus helped them with living expenses). I feel that have gotten all they need/ should get from their dad already. Their father left them a few trinkets each but as far as money, he left them nothing. My way of thinking is that this money is just to give my children the same things that my late DH already gave my step children.

I know what I am going to do but I just wondered what other's opinions are.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
10 moms liked this

That makes no sense, if he already provided for them lavishly, then why should they get more? Shouldn't their half siblings get the same that they got?

Quoting Anonymous:

If he provided so lavishly for them then they should get some of the money.

.Nobody.
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with you.

Btw I am sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
First. I'm sorry for your loss

Second, the money should just go to the beneficiary. If it was my, if probably give them each a little something. But we're all different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
If my late husband wanted them to have some money, he would have left them some, and not all of it to me.

I probably would break them off with a tiny but. Probably.

Maybe.
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
6 moms liked this
I would give each of the grown children 25 or 50 thousand each. They deserve something too. They lost their father to.
Aeonix
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
20 moms liked this

First, I'm sorry for your loss. As for the money, since they are grown adults and you have two young children to raise, I would not give them any money either. If your dh had wanted it that way, he would have set something up for them. Death isn't a payout. 

tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
9 moms liked this

I agree with you, you still have 2 kids to raise your SK's had their college paid for which gave them foundation to begin a good life for theirselves.  Let the two little ones have the same consideration! 

CLEKate
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
36 moms liked this

Life insurance should be used primarily to support the family that he would have supported if he were alive.  Since he's dead, the money should take the place of whatever he would have earned and supported you and his 2 younger kids.

(When my Mom died, I never would have expected my Dad to hand over her life insurance.  Never.  Never.  Ever.)

kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
4 moms liked this
I wouldn't they were given a car and help with college. Plus he provided for them as kids. He can't do the same with the other kids his self but that money can. They are grown the other kids aren't they can deak with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
7 moms liked this
They are adults,they don't need the money. U have two small kids by yourself now,I think u need it more then they do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN