Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My step kids won't be getting anything from my late DH

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

I would give them an equal share of the money

I would give them some money

I wouldn't give them any money

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1931

View Results

DH died a month ago. He left $750,000 in life insurance. We have a home and 2 cars which are in my name too so of course they go to me. The life insurance policy is set up to go to me. My SK think that they should get part of it. They are both grown, I have 2 kids with my late DH who are 3 and 6 so I feel that money should go to helping to raise them. My DH paid a crazy amount of child support plus took really good care of my step kids, bought them both a car on their 16th birthdays and put them through college (they got scholorships but he paid for everything the scholorships didn't pay plus helped them with living expenses). I feel that have gotten all they need/ should get from their dad already. Their father left them a few trinkets each but as far as money, he left them nothing. My way of thinking is that this money is just to give my children the same things that my late DH already gave my step children.

I know what I am going to do but I just wondered what other's opinions are.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I am with you 100% on this one. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Yes, it was pretty straight forward, of course the house and cars that are in my name too go to me and the life insurance and everything in the bank accounts go to me. He put in some things for his kids but no money

Quoting MichLW69:

Did he leave a will?

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I would share.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crashly
by Ashley on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
3 moms liked this
They are grown and should be self sufficient by now. You have two children to raise and support with that money. I don't think you need to share.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I think you are right. That is not much money to support you and finish raising your kids. If their name was not on it, it is all YOURS.

eoewan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Your late dh left them what he wanted - trinkets. The monies your dh left should be used for your underaged children. The step kids are grown and can provide for themselves. JMHO

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
12 moms liked this
Actually I'm going to say no they don't deserve any money. A life insurance policy is supposed to help support the children and spouse of the deceased. The money from the life insurance policy makes up for the money he would be bringing in from a job. The 750,000 needs to last until you youngest is 18.

You said the kid is 3? So 15 years is how long the 750,000 is supposed to last. That only leaves you 50,000 a year to pay everything with if you chose to stay home with your children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DazeDelights
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I would give them some. 25-40 thousand will not hender your children especially if YOU don't blow the money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
3 moms liked this

It's not yours to decide.  Your late DH made the decision for you.  If he had wanted them to get something, he would have made those wishes known.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM
4 moms liked this
You sound like a young greedy bitch that married a old man for his money.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)