Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you write in cursive?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Can you write in cursive?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 177

View Results

I love writing in cursive.  I'm a lefty so the less I have to pick the pencil up off of the page, the better.  It's much faster too.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
CodenameDuchess
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Huh? I'm a lefty and both my kids are right-handed. It's not hard at all to show them how to write.

Quoting SamiJ18:

Quoting crescentstar2:

I can had to learn in 3rd grade, ds1 asked me to teach him

Apparently it isn't really a priority in schools nowadays.  I hope my kids learn how to write in cursvie in school.  It's not that I don't want to teach them, it's that they are right-handed and my DH and I are both left-handed...kind of hard to teach someone how to write when they use the opposite hand and have the paper at a different angle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Yup. We started learning in 3rd grade and from grade 4 and up we had to write in cursive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

you need it sign documents in the very least. I wasn't allowed to let them sign a release in print.  If they don't teach mine in school (I'm in SC, obviously) then I'll be teaching her I suppose, which will suck because my handwriting is horrid.

Quoting shymomof4:

I am in NC.  My oldest learned in 3rd grade 2 years ago.  We switiched schools this year within the same school district and my now 3rd grader isn't going to learn cursive at school.  I am teaching her at home though.  I think it is important to learn even though she may not use it often.  

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I heard they aren't teaching in some schools anymore. I can tell you down here, when I would ask kids to sign their paperwork (17-21 year old range) and I told them it had to be in cursive sometimes I had to write it out beforehand for them so they could see an example to follow. Sad!

KMadsen
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Can I? Yes.  Do I? No.

ETA: I learned cursive in 2nd grade then switched schools before 3rd grade and learned a totally different way of doing it. The teacher would always mark my work wrong.

I believe that when you find love, you hold onto it and cherish it because there is nothing finer, and it may never come again. -Mr. Feeny
LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Yes, and I teach my children (well, currently just the 2nd grade who is old enough) 

KristaElizabeth
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I do I love it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Sometimes children should learn things they take no interest in because it's important to know.   Half the crap I need to know now I wouldn't have learned if I had a choice as a child.

Quoting all2gethernow:

I can. My four homeschooled kids can not except for their signature. They are master keyboarders. Bought cursive stuff when the were small, never took interest in it.

shell3m
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

yes I can.  :)  others may not be able to read it though....LOL!  I have horrible handwriting..lol 

RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

of course I can, I thought anybody past elementary could.......

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JadsW:

Yeeeaaah ... I thought everyone could.

I have met a few people at my college who cannot.  The conversations usually come up when they try to read my notes but are unable to because it's in cursive lol.

I know they aren't emphasizing it in schools now but I, like you, thought those in my generation and beyond have learned how to read and write in cursive at some point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured