Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SS Got in trouble for Bullying...Sooo we taught him a lesson...

Posted by   + Show Post

He's been having some behavioral issues lately, along with how he's treating others. Friday he gets a note sent home stating how rude he is to teachers, and how he was caught putting "Kick Me" signs on the back of children he was laughing at. ...Well, that just won't fly in this house...

He had to wear this on the back of his shirt the entire time we were in Walmart. He was mortified. Angry. Livid. ...and once he began to see the children around his age, and older pointing and laughing, but never saying anything to him, he realized how much it Hurt. It hurts to be laughed at, and gawked at all because someone else felt like dragging you down. It hurts to watch people laugh at you, yet never help you. We then explained to him, what he was feeling, was the EXACT sensation those othe rkids felt while he sat there laughing. He said he'd never forget that happened to him, that we did that. We said, "Good.  Those children will never forget  YOU bullied them in the 3rd grade because you wanted to be cool. Do you feel cool now?" 

Lesson.Learned.

...and then we grounded him from his TV. You know...for good measure.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
shell3m
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

nice!  :)  He will remember that and hope it helps.  :)

reava
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I think that's awesome. You are gonna get torn to shreds here though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I don't think humiliating your child teaches them anything but anger and resentment.
singlemom1208
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Hope the lesson sticks!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM

By bullying the child they enforced that it is ok to bully a long as you're bigger than the person your bullying!  I don't think shaming a child is ever a good idea or should be considered good parenting!

Quoting kitchen.ninja:

What would you have done?

To me op was parenting. At that age the sign was appropriate punishment.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I guess that was easier than actually parenting him!

Lizardannie1966
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I honestly hate this new parental fascination with making kid's wear signs as punishment.

However, in your case, the point was well taken by your child and he has hopefully learned a very hard-core, invaluable lesson about how others feel when they've been bullied.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I think if my ex's mom would have done this... he wouldnt be scum sucking dead beat to society.
kitchen.ninja
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM
They were not bullying the child they were teaching the child a lesson about how it felt to be in that situation.

They were pointing and laughing it doing it with malicious intent.

How would you have approached this if this was your child?

Quoting Anonymous:

By bullying the child they enforced that it is ok to bully a long as you're bigger than the person your bullying!  I don't think shaming a child is ever a good idea or should be considered good parenting!

Quoting kitchen.ninja:

What would you have done?

To me op was parenting. At that age the sign was appropriate punishment.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I guess that was easier than actually parenting him!

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Typically I would agree with this statement, except the child was humiliating other children.  I don't know that I would do what OP did, but I can't say for certain I wouldn't.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I don't think humiliating your child teaches them anything but anger and resentment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM
This. Humiliation helps nothing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, we know where he learned the bullying from.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured