Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SS Got in trouble for Bullying...Sooo we taught him a lesson...

Posted by   + Show Post

He's been having some behavioral issues lately, along with how he's treating others. Friday he gets a note sent home stating how rude he is to teachers, and how he was caught putting "Kick Me" signs on the back of children he was laughing at. ...Well, that just won't fly in this house...

He had to wear this on the back of his shirt the entire time we were in Walmart. He was mortified. Angry. Livid. ...and once he began to see the children around his age, and older pointing and laughing, but never saying anything to him, he realized how much it Hurt. It hurts to be laughed at, and gawked at all because someone else felt like dragging you down. It hurts to watch people laugh at you, yet never help you. We then explained to him, what he was feeling, was the EXACT sensation those othe rkids felt while he sat there laughing. He said he'd never forget that happened to him, that we did that. We said, "Good.  Those children will never forget  YOU bullied them in the 3rd grade because you wanted to be cool. Do you feel cool now?" 

Lesson.Learned.

...and then we grounded him from his TV. You know...for good measure.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (211-215):
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I have no issues with what you did. It served it's purpose. I think it's good parenting.

But i don't think kick me signs are bullying. I think bullying is much stronger. I think provokes real fear and is a much bigger problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Usually kids are bullies because of their home life???
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I agree.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I don't think humiliating your child teaches them anything but anger and resentment.

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Lol. My son is 6 and has aspergers. He bit me once. I told him no and placed him in his playpen with no toys.
He is far from perfect, but I can get my point across to him without stooping to his behavioral level.
Why do you assume that my child is perfect because I criticized you? Why get that defensive?

Quoting Lullabylee89:

I pray your child remains in absolute perfect for the entirety of their life. I really do. You're quite lucky. 

However, what do you do when a small child begins biting, or pinching, or hitting soemone? They're too young to explain a rational explaination of why we don't do that to others, but you could try that. ...Until you get bit again. You could show them endless amounts of love and hope they grow out of it...until they bite someone else and you're left embarrassed...or you could handle it the way parents before us handled it and slightly bite the child back, or easiliy pinch them back and show them it doesn't feel good when it's done to you. 98% of the time, that type of reaction will ensure that child doesn't bite or pinch again. 

Worked for mine anyway. But mine aren't perfect like yours. It happens.

Quoting Sekirei:

Awesome... do the same thing your child did. Way to go *slow clap* 

That is just like teaching a child not to hit by smacking them when they hit you. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lullabylee89
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM
You're considering a SIGN worn for 15 minutes to physically ABUSING my child. That's ridiculous. I'm happy that putting your small child in a play pen kept him from coming back to bite you. My DDs don't sit in play pens nor did my 2yr old react when she purposely pulled someone's hair and all I did was tell her not to do it again. But when it kept happening I finally pulled her hair a little and she has yet to do it again. Your play pen works for you. My way works for mine. But don't compare a sign to physically HITTING my kid. And don't compare showing my DD that hair pulling hurts as abuse. Me making SS see how he made an innocent kid feel is not the same as "physical abuse." However if SS decides to take a swing at me at his age, I can pretty much promise he won't get hit backed. He'll spend 24 hours in a juvenile center so he could meet other boys that behaved that way and get a glimpse of what life could be like.
Quoting Sekirei:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured