Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SS Got in trouble for Bullying...Sooo we taught him a lesson...

Posted by   + Show Post

He's been having some behavioral issues lately, along with how he's treating others. Friday he gets a note sent home stating how rude he is to teachers, and how he was caught putting "Kick Me" signs on the back of children he was laughing at. ...Well, that just won't fly in this house...

He had to wear this on the back of his shirt the entire time we were in Walmart. He was mortified. Angry. Livid. ...and once he began to see the children around his age, and older pointing and laughing, but never saying anything to him, he realized how much it Hurt. It hurts to be laughed at, and gawked at all because someone else felt like dragging you down. It hurts to watch people laugh at you, yet never help you. We then explained to him, what he was feeling, was the EXACT sensation those othe rkids felt while he sat there laughing. He said he'd never forget that happened to him, that we did that. We said, "Good.  Those children will never forget  YOU bullied them in the 3rd grade because you wanted to be cool. Do you feel cool now?" 

Lesson.Learned.

...and then we grounded him from his TV. You know...for good measure.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
Lullabylee89
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the same approach I take with the children. Doing THIS to him and watching it EFFECT him and change the way he felt about his actions, is what made me feel like his parent. I've spanked him, I've grounded him, I've threatened him within and inch of his life...and then immedialty ran into the other room crying my eyes out because it hurt to have to get onto him. I'm very weary when it comes to punishing him as it is, BUT in this case something creative needed to be done. I didn't feel spanking would do it. Ignoring it and telling him "Now don't do that again" OBVIOUSLY wasn't going to do it. 

I can tell you right now I was just as embarrassed as he was going into that store. Not embarrassed that I did it though. Embarrassed that it was my child who had hurt someone elses feelings that way. We all parent differently, just as all of our children are different. But I'm raising  him to be an adult one day. Not a "man-baby" that still wants to depend on me to save him at every turn. His father is an Air Force vet. Can you imagine what HE wanted to do to SS as punishment? ...all I wanted was a sign. 

PISCIS29
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM
😳 Backs away very slowly.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

He's in third grade?    I think that's putting the cart before the horse...

At his age, he needs told and guided and disciplined, yes... but to be humiliated to teach him a lesson... no...

Maybe if he were 14 and were bullying after repeated attempts not to... sure... but third grade?

mommy053008
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I don't get the sign thing either! I mean what IS that about?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly hate this new parental fascination with making kid's wear signs as punishment.

However, in your case, the point was well taken by your child and he has hopefully learned a very hard-core, invaluable lesson about how others feel when they've been bullied.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Anonymous

Anonymous
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM
it has to do with public humiliation. Like their embarrassment will be enough to change the behavior.

Quoting mommy053008:

I don't get the sing thing either! I mean what IS that about?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly hate this new parental fascination with making kid's wear signs as punishment.

However, in your case, the point was well taken by your child and he has hopefully learned a very hard-core, invaluable lesson about how others feel when they've been bullied.

mommaTLC186
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM
HI-5!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamalusbear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I think it's a good parenting move.....effective and gives him some empathy for others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)