Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SS Got in trouble for Bullying...Sooo we taught him a lesson...

Posted by   + Show Post

He's been having some behavioral issues lately, along with how he's treating others. Friday he gets a note sent home stating how rude he is to teachers, and how he was caught putting "Kick Me" signs on the back of children he was laughing at. ...Well, that just won't fly in this house...

He had to wear this on the back of his shirt the entire time we were in Walmart. He was mortified. Angry. Livid. ...and once he began to see the children around his age, and older pointing and laughing, but never saying anything to him, he realized how much it Hurt. It hurts to be laughed at, and gawked at all because someone else felt like dragging you down. It hurts to watch people laugh at you, yet never help you. We then explained to him, what he was feeling, was the EXACT sensation those othe rkids felt while he sat there laughing. He said he'd never forget that happened to him, that we did that. We said, "Good.  Those children will never forget  YOU bullied them in the 3rd grade because you wanted to be cool. Do you feel cool now?" 

Lesson.Learned.

...and then we grounded him from his TV. You know...for good measure.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
mamanay041010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I don't agree with this and I will state why. Sometimes in an attempt avoid bullying children become bullies I have seen and experienced it, I had a friend freshman year of high school felt in order to save herself from being picked on with me she rather pick on me,  so she herself wasn't a target for long but sadly that backfired because kids just felt she traded to save herself and went back to picking on us both individually, I also have a cousin who tries really hard to fit in (she's just began HS) and in order to dot why she acts out, so yes kids at school pick on her but she disobeys the teachers and is mean to other classmates in the hopes she'll become popular (like my"friend") so forth at reason I say definitely grounding him was the way to go but to me it's like I hated being the center of everyone's laughter,ridicule and jokes and I wouldn't wish it on my tormentors because its painful. I wanted them to educated not humiliated, teach your son why we don't mistreat people and what can happen if we do also make sure he isn't rebelling or acting out because of his own issues at school, just because he seems fine at home doesn't ,ean he isn't being tormented at school. I spent most of elementary school suspended but it was only due to always being teased and picked on being called names it made me aggressive and I fought students but NOBODY say me down and asked "what's wrong dear" everybody wrote me off as some bad little girl with a mean streak. Figure out why he did that but don't put him on display like that because now he'll feel tormented and he can internalize that, it can make him meaner kind of like parents thinking spanking helps teach a child not to hit lol.. I do hope his behavior gets better 

Judesmom333
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I could never do such a thing to my child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

When did this become a trend? Just like the whole "Like my sign and I will get a puppy!" I just don't understand! Where did it come from?

Quoting Anonymous:

it has to do with public humiliation. Like their embarrassment will be enough to change the behavior.

Quoting mommy053008:

I don't get the sing thing either! I mean what IS that about?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly hate this new parental fascination with making kid's wear signs as punishment.

However, in your case, the point was well taken by your child and he has hopefully learned a very hard-core, invaluable lesson about how others feel when they've been bullied.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Good. I'm all for object lessons. Some people do not learn in the abstract (that goes for any topic or subject).

It taught him something useful, he learned empathy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

That is awesome! I have seen things like this online before. Hopefully you DS WILL remember this for a VERY long time!

Lullabylee89
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

At 14 do you really think he'd stand to let me put a sign on his back and walk in a store for 15 minutes? Espeically if we've let him get away with murder from the 3rd grade? No. He's going to call me a B**** and walk away. I don't want that child either. 

So if I sign, for 15 minutes, gets the point across and he thinks twice about continuing to hurt another child's feeling, so be it. My mother spoiled me rotten and I still resented her. It was called being a teenager. 

But I understand many don't agree with me. It's okay. I still remember getting bashed for spanking him after spending an entire year getting talked back too, and simply ignoring him and putting him in time out. And I still got called names by people on here AND SS. 

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

3rd grade? wow.

ArisMom208
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I think its a good idea.

Now he won't bully other kids.

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Same thing my dh and I would have done! We teach by demonstration too! When my daughter dumped all her shampoo and conditioner down our shower drain, we had to show her what that felt like to us, something we cared about (and spent money on) literally going down the drain. So we went ot the fridge, and grabbed the chocolate syrup (there was just a little bit left) went ot he shower and told her to watch. As soon as we turned it over and squeezed, she lost it. "Thats really good stuff! Thats my prize for being good! I try for my chocolate milk (she has to finish all her healthy meals to have any)!" So I asked her, "Do you see why I got upset that you emptied your new shampoo into the drain?" She said yes and hasnt wasted anything since.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM
No idea. I don't believe in it myself. Not my parenting style.

Quoting mommy053008:

When did this become a trend? Just like the whole "Like my sign and I will get a puppy!" I just don't understand! Where did it come from?

Quoting Anonymous:

it has to do with public humiliation. Like their embarrassment will be enough to change the behavior.

Quoting mommy053008:

I don't get the sing thing either! I mean what IS that about?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly hate this new parental fascination with making kid's wear signs as punishment.

However, in your case, the point was well taken by your child and he has hopefully learned a very hard-core, invaluable lesson about how others feel when they've been bullied.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)