Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

im heart broken.

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 22 Replies
Last night we were at my grandmothers house, and the scariest thing ever happened with my oldest daughter. Let me start by saying I love my grandmother, she us the sweetest most kind woman in the world, and has always been wonderful with kids, but she is getting old and her mind is slipping. Last night we were sitting in the living room and my two year old was on the couch I was changing my youngest diaper, and when I looked up my two year old had a pill bottle. She had dumped them into the side table and was spitting one out of her mouth. It was so fast. Not even one minute did I have my eye off of her! I picked up the bottle and the medicine was for high blood pressure. I immediately took her to the emergency room fearing for my child's life because of barely a moment of looking away. When we got there they looked up the prescriptions and said that more than likely she hadn't swallowed any because of the amount that was left and the short amount of time I was looking away. They decided to let her drink liquid charcoal instead of pumping her stomach to make get throw up the contents of her stomach and said that for that particular medicine there is nothing that would fight against it and that the only way to know if anything would happen was ti wait an hour and monitor her heart rate. Ut was the longest scariest hour of my life,I will never forget it! Luckily she did not swallow any of the medicine. Thank god! But she spent one long night in the e.r. this is heart breaking because when it happened my grandmother had forgotten she even had that medicine. She didn't remember taking it, or sitting it on that table. I do not blame her for leaving it out, but it scares me because she has watched them.before. and alzheimers runs in our family. I almost lost my baby and I'm realizing I am probably about to start losing my grandmother as well. And for those of you who will say I should watch my kid more closely, you are probably right. I was lucky nothing happened to her, I am always with my.children, I don't work, I very rarely ask anyone to watch them. One moment of looking down to change a diaper and i could have lost my little girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM
:( I'm glad your daughter is okay and yes it's sad to watch older family members start to lose their memory
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Yikes I'm glad she's ok! I'm sorry you have to watch that happen to your grandmother. Kids are so fast!
Maybe you can check for meds laying around first in the future?
Amanda7409
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Aww that sucks! Glad she's ok and just take it as lesson learned. Maybe try having her help with diaper changes so she's right next to you. Remember everyone isn't perfect but all it takes is a second...
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Im sorry that happened. Now that it's happened once, you know to use extra caution around grandma. Don't limit your time with her, that wouldn't be fair to anyone. But be extra vigilent! 

Jensep
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Unfortunitely, Things like this happen, thank god she is ok! 

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I would never keep them away from her! I just won't leave them unnattended in the future

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Im sorry that happened. Now that it's happened once, you know to use extra caution around grandma. Don't limit your time with her, that wouldn't be fair to anyone. But be extra vigilent! 

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! And do a quick once-over of the house to make sure nothing dangerous is laying around. We do this with my husband's aunt, who has bad dementia. 

Quoting kmorales7690:

I would never keep them away from her! I just won't leave them unnattended in the future

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Im so glad she was ok. Next time you go to your grandmothers do a quick check for any meds lying around. 

Cochise
by Dawn on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Lesson learned... it is better it happened this way ...  you won't be having gramma babysit them anymore...        you see now what could happen...and thank God you can prevent it now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN