Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hi Ladies,

I'm wondering if any of you ladies have a serious hobby? By serious, I mean that you put a significant amount of money towards your hobby each year or you compete in marathons/competitions or become an expert at something.

I'm looking to start up a new hobby, but it seems like everything becomes so expensive when you want to try to do things as high tech/ experty (lol) as possible. Here are some examples of what I am talking about:

Recently I looked into really getting into biking (mountain biking) but a good mountain bike costs upwards of $700 plus there are upgrades. Then I was really getting into running (until I injured my ankles) and I spent a bunch of money on good running shoes. I thought about getting back into ballet, but classes will cost me around $500 per month! Now, I am hoping to start up an aquarium, but I am realizing that a big tank, plus good lights/heater, filters,...ect...are going to have a startup cost of about $600. Plus, there are bulb and filter replacements each year..ect. =/

Does anyone here have any inexpensive hobby ideas?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Replies (41-44):
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:04 AM

I love it! I'm sure your tank will be absolutely beautiful once it is completed. I LOVE coral! What a great way to teach your children about the ocean as well!

I haven't looked into nano cube tanks! I will have to do a google search.All I know right now is that I want a planted, tropical freshwater tank (I'm more excited about live plants than the fish). I know I want moss and I want to have shrimp. I know I want a tank between 29 to 55 gallons (I was leaning towards the 55gal, but with the price..now I'm not so sure). I've been told that T5 lights are good so I've priced those at around $120.00. Right now I'm looking at a $570.00 total cost. I'm not sure if I am okay with that. I keep thinking about all the other things I could do with that money, but ...with how expensive ALL hobbies are I wonder if I should just save. LOL

Quoting luvmymunchkins3:

thanks the light is also a black light.its i believe 75 gallons it took us 4days to fill we has our water running 24/7 since you have to do it a special way.i believe our freshwater tank was 30 gallon and it was perfect for us since it wasnt to big but not to small.my husband wants to buy another saltwater tank but he wants a 300gallon and to use this one for a lionfish.have you looked at the nano cube tanks?

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:09 AM

I worked with a little boy who had cerebral palsy, and he saw a speech therapist to help with the swallowing issues he has had. If anything just touched his lips he would gag... It took a long time to desensitize him so he could actually eat solids. But it was successful! :) 

What would hinder you from submitting it in time? Are you still finishing up some classes you need to apply? 

Don´t look at it as a disappointment. Use the time to work and get experience. I believe that there are so many things you can learn through hands-on interaction that no school can teach you. Maybe some workshops? Internships? Focus on the positive this extra time can give you :) 

Initially, I wanted to work in OB/GYN but I would also love to work at a hospice. When I was younger I always said I cannot watch people die but my attitude towards it has drastically changed. I think it is a very fulfilling work to be there for the terminally ill people, listen to them, care for them, and help make their lasts days good ones as much as possible. 

When the kids are a little older I want to get my MSN and maybe my PhD. That is long ways down the road but I am glad to have this option. 

Quoting ballerina18:

I have a special interest in the area of pediatric and infant feeding and swallowing disorders, so I hope to work with a pediatric population after I graduate. I would LOVE to work in a NICU with an interdisciplinary team. Honestly, I can see myself working in a variety of settings as a speech therapist.

Right now I am just hoping my grad school application will get submitted on time. It is due Feb 1st and I have a feeling it will be late. =/ Thus, why I am hoping to take up a new hobby. If I have to wait until 2014 to start grad school I will be dissapointed. A distraction will be helpful.

What do you hope to do in the field of nursing?

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

I´m going for my bachelor´s in nursing. I already have a degree but the US does not accept it. So I had to go back to school again. Kinda sucks but there is nothing I can do about it :) Speech therapy sounds interesting! What can you do with a master´s in this field? Or rather, where do you want to be when you have your master´s :) 

You said you wanted to learn either German or Russian. I´d probably start with something easy. Russian uses the Cyrillic alphabet, which you would have to learn on top of grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. German... well, it is a difficult language. I´m trying to get my husband to learn it but so far he knows enough to talk to the dogs (they are trained in German lol!) It is my first language so I think it would be nice for him to speak it a little bit, too.  

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:16 AM

What an exciting area to work in! Good luck with nursing school! How much longer do you have?

I think my application will be late because.. okay.. hopefully this will make sense.. When I submitted my application materials I had to submit them to a portal called CSDCAS. CSDCAS reviews and verifies my materials and THEN sends them off to my graduate school. This verification process can take 4-6 weeks. I called CSDCAS on Friday and they said they are about 2 weeks behind in the verification process. So, it looks like my application will not be sent to my grad school until a week after the deadline. I am thinking about writing a letter to the grad school to respectfully ask for consideration, but I am going to wait to see if the application will be submitted next week.

Everything else has been submitted on time (transcripts, letters of recommendation, GRE scores..ect..)

I'm trying to look at the bright side. Like you said the extra year would give me more time to gain hands on experience.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

I worked with a little boy who had cerebral palsy, and he saw a speech therapist to help with the swallowing issues he has had. If anything just touched his lips he would gag... It took a long time to desensitize him so he could actually eat solids. But it was successful! :) 

What would hinder you from submitting it in time? Are you still finishing up some classes you need to apply? 

Don´t look at it as a disappointment. Use the time to work and get experience. I believe that there are so many things you can learn through hands-on interaction that no school can teach you. Maybe some workshops? Internships? Focus on the positive this extra time can give you :) 

Initially, I wanted to work in OB/GYN but I would also love to work at a hospice. When I was younger I always said I cannot watch people die but my attitude towards it has drastically changed. I think it is a very fulfilling work to be there for the terminally ill people, listen to them, care for them, and help make their lasts days good ones as much as possible. 

When the kids are a little older I want to get my MSN and maybe my PhD. That is long ways down the road but I am glad to have this option. 

Quoting ballerina18:

I have a special interest in the area of pediatric and infant feeding and swallowing disorders, so I hope to work with a pediatric population after I graduate. I would LOVE to work in a NICU with an interdisciplinary team. Honestly, I can see myself working in a variety of settings as a speech therapist.

Right now I am just hoping my grad school application will get submitted on time. It is due Feb 1st and I have a feeling it will be late. =/ Thus, why I am hoping to take up a new hobby. If I have to wait until 2014 to start grad school I will be dissapointed. A distraction will be helpful.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

I´m going for my bachelor´s in nursing. I already have a degree but the US does not accept it. So I had to go back to school again. Kinda sucks but there is nothing I can do about it :) Speech therapy sounds interesting! What can you do with a master´s in this field? Or rather, where do you want to be when you have your master´s :) 

You said you wanted to learn either German or Russian. I´d probably start with something easy. Russian uses the Cyrillic alphabet, which you would have to learn on top of grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. German... well, it is a difficult language. I´m trying to get my husband to learn it but so far he knows enough to talk to the dogs (they are trained in German lol!) It is my first language so I think it would be nice for him to speak it a little bit, too.  

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:37 AM

I still have a little while to go. I follow a strict schedule so the end is in sight :D

This does make sense. I assume they are behind due to the holidays? I would have a letter written and ready to send off just in case. And always use registered mail in such cases ;) I keep my fingers crossed that they get your application processed despite what they told you! 

Quoting ballerina18:

What an exciting area to work in! Good luck with nursing school! How much longer do you have?

I think my application will be late because.. okay.. hopefully this will make sense.. When I submitted my application materials I had to submit them to a portal called CSDCAS. CSDCAS reviews and verifies my materials and THEN sends them off to my graduate school. This verification process can take 4-6 weeks. I called CSDCAS on Friday and they said they are about 2 weeks behind in the verification process. So, it looks like my application will not be sent to my grad school until a week after the deadline. I am thinking about writing a letter to the grad school to respectfully ask for consideration, but I am going to wait to see if the application will be submitted next week.

Everything else has been submitted on time (transcripts, letters of recommendation, GRE scores..ect..)

I'm trying to look at the bright side. Like you said the extra year would give me more time to gain hands on experience.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Quoting ballerina18:

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN