Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Send your kid to daycare he said...ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sons pedi advised us to send our LO to daycare so he can develop social skills. He was 13 months at the time. I feel like I'm depriving him of that but everyone around me says he is doing great and is best at home with me. We are living comfortably enough for me to stay home with my LO and I want to know how many mamas did NOT send their children to daycare or anything of that sort and had kids with fine social skills. Should add he does not have any cousins and is the first born of his generation. We're waiting on family to bring more kids into the family.

ETA: I looked into some of the options mothers gave. The local YMCA closed in may of 2012 here, and our library does have story time. I found a Montessori play group, and contacted them. I had no idea this post would become featured. It's going to take me a while to reply but thank to you all of you mamas who remained respectful.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Replies (861-863):
chelseasills
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:17 AM

my son has been in daycare since 6 weeks of age, he is almost 4 months now and he is doing great. he babbles to anyone willing to respond and play with him now. before, it was all about mommy. there is nothing wrong with daycare, i think its great.

4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:57 AM

I think that is a bad idea. Where do most kids pick up illnesses? Day care! None of the 7 of us went and none of my 5 will go. It is not needed! Set up play dates, take him to story time at the library, join some Mom and Baby Swim lessons, etc.

alexosche
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

i think your pedi probibaly ment well but maybe didnt go about it the best way.. its deffinetly good to expose children to others there age to start learning good play habbits and how to interact with others in general.  i am not a fan of daycare i dont think the children receive any where near the normal amount of attention or interactions like they need and would receive in a family home environment, even just a babysitter coming to your home or taking child to babysitters home is i thiink a way better situation.  i have been actually been dealing with this situation a lot lately, i am receiving assistance and there trying to get me to put my son in daycare and go to school or work ect. and i am admittly against it. i think every mother or primary caretaker for the child should have the choice to stay home and be with the child until they start school. i think overall it would help us as a population and teach our kids better manners, skills, interactions, and to be more respectful of others. kids today raised in daycare with limited attention and interactions to teach normal social skills lack normal skills. i know sometimes daycare is the only option but then the parent or parents just need to put in extra interaction time with the child and be very pickey about the choice in daycare and amount of children to adults ratio is.  my conclusion to this for everyone is that our government should supply funding and care for atleast 1 of the 2 parents or the 1main primary caregiver for the child until the child starts school so that parents arnt so stressed and overworked to finacially survive that there forced to find daycares for there child or children......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)