Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Send your kid to daycare he said...ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sons pedi advised us to send our LO to daycare so he can develop social skills. He was 13 months at the time. I feel like I'm depriving him of that but everyone around me says he is doing great and is best at home with me. We are living comfortably enough for me to stay home with my LO and I want to know how many mamas did NOT send their children to daycare or anything of that sort and had kids with fine social skills. Should add he does not have any cousins and is the first born of his generation. We're waiting on family to bring more kids into the family.

ETA: I looked into some of the options mothers gave. The local YMCA closed in may of 2012 here, and our library does have story time. I found a Montessori play group, and contacted them. I had no idea this post would become featured. It's going to take me a while to reply but thank to you all of you mamas who remained respectful.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:07 AM
I worked in one that was reputable in the city and made the top 10 nearly every year. If a daycare that is that good has so many secrets I can't imagine the others. My boss filled me in on quite a few secrets from other owners. I am being responsible by not subjecting him to the things I told parents about.

Quoting luckystars2012:

So you be a responsible parent and find a good one.  My dds daycare had cameras in every room that I could log into remotely and view the classrooms and playgrounds.  

Its not that hard nowadays,  but by not socializing your kid you are setting him up for problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked in daycare and that has been my biggest reason for not putting him in it. I've seen the truth behind the curtains.

Quoting luckystars2012:

I have almost always worked so my DD has been in daycare.  What I can tell you is that I spend a lot of time volunteering at my DDs kindergarten class, and in general the kids with the most social issues are the kids who have not been in a social setting with other kids. 

Playdates simply arent enough.  you dont have to put yoru kid in daycare full time, but a half day a couple of times a week makes a big difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Not involved in church but have one I went to before. Not many reformed churches around lol

Quoting DonnaPinitonya:

Are you religous? DD's love the play room at church and some churchs have MOPS or something similar... MOTHERS OF PRESCHOOLERS, usally newborn through 5 so kids can socialize and moms or dads can have parent interaction. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's a good idea his father and I would like for him to be in some kind of sport when he's older. His choice though

Quoting DonnaPinitonya:

I can't afford day care anymore so I sign DD1 up for activites through the city. Look into those, the cost less and run shorter so you can try different things. 

britishmummy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:12 AM

My son is not in daycare, but when we go to parties, he clings to me and gets timid near children. But my friend with a daughter his age, he is great friends with, they play together and eat snacks together. In Japan, school starts at 2 years old, so my son turns 2 in July, he starts school in September, he'll be taught basic social skills.

tezell78
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:13 AM
I had to enroll ds in daycare part days because I'm a full time student and my regular sitter was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer, I'm dreading his first morning which will be Monday. If you feel he is fine, chances are, you are right trust yourself mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Uh huh.  Sounds like you worked for a shitty place. Like I said, its not that hard, do research, find a place that has cameras for remote viewing.....or by all means, continue to set your kid up for issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked in one that was reputable in the city and made the top 10 nearly every year. If a daycare that is that good has so many secrets I can't imagine the others. My boss filled me in on quite a few secrets from other owners. I am being responsible by not subjecting him to the things I told parents about.

Quoting luckystars2012:

So you be a responsible parent and find a good one.  My dds daycare had cameras in every room that I could log into remotely and view the classrooms and playgrounds.  

Its not that hard nowadays,  but by not socializing your kid you are setting him up for problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked in daycare and that has been my biggest reason for not putting him in it. I've seen the truth behind the curtains.

Quoting luckystars2012:

I have almost always worked so my DD has been in daycare.  What I can tell you is that I spend a lot of time volunteering at my DDs kindergarten class, and in general the kids with the most social issues are the kids who have not been in a social setting with other kids. 

Playdates simply arent enough.  you dont have to put yoru kid in daycare full time, but a half day a couple of times a week makes a big difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:16 AM
I guess all of these other mothers also raised children with issues. Volunteering does not equal knowledge of how kids are all of the time. Before DS was born I worked in two elementary schools, that daycare, taught the flute and the boys and girls club. You're attitude is completely uncalled for. This post was specific to those whose kids were not in daycare. I worked with many kids but my own is my biggest learning opportunity.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Uh huh.  Sounds like you worked for a shitty place. Like I said, its not that hard, do research, find a place that has cameras for remote viewing.....or by all means, continue to set your kid up for issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting luckystars2012:

ADC2005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Just find a library with story times for kids or something like that, then have play dates with the kids he seems to hit it off with
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deepthinker
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess all of these other mothers also raised children with issues. Volunteering does not equal knowledge of how kids are all of the time. Before DS was born I worked in two elementary schools, that daycare, taught the flute and the boys and girls club. You're attitude is completely uncalled for. This post was specific to those whose kids were not in daycare. I worked with many kids but my own is my biggest learning opportunity.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting luckystars2012:

Not calling you a bad mother, but you're comparing your situations with these other women who stated their child(ren) had activities they attended which socialized them.  You stated yourself that the extent of your child's socialization was seeing other kids at the store or park while you wait to have another child or until a family member has a baby.  I don't think that's a true comparison to a lot of the women who responded here. Many stated they had more then one child, had play-dates, sent them to activities, etc.  You aren't doing any of those things.  I think the way you are going about it, and the excuses you are using are setting your child up for failure.  You may feel that you are doing the right thing by your child, but your son does need to interact with other children beyond a trip to the store or park.

luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Volunteering as in I am in the classroom at least 15 hours a week.  Thats a lot of time spent with these kids, and yes I am able to tell you which ones have behavior and social issues and which ones dont, and which ones had not been in a daycare setting before entering Kinder. The ones without classroom/daycare setting experience have the most issues adapting, are more likely to bully others, have meltdowns about things like sharing and proper group behavior (carpet time, standing in line, etc)  .

I dont have an "attitude", Im just being truthful and you cant handle it.

Quoting Anonymous:

luckymomma08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:24 AM

make friends who have kids his age for playdates.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN