Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this crazy?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So my SIL was talking today about her DD14 starting to date. She's imposed a "one year younger one year older" rule on her daughter. At this point I'm like "fair enough, my DD was 17 but your child your rule". and then she interrupts me to say "Well 2 days before the date he comes in for an interview (he has a form to fill out with his classes, grades, any detentions/suspensions, family contact details) and she will ask him for an ID if she thinks he's too old. Is this crazy?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup! when my DD was younger she lied and told me she was meeting up with people *I* knew in town and secretly was going on dates that I couldn't monitor because it was 45 minutes away >.>

Quoting Sammi20:

haha GL to that momma!~ I really hope her dd is smart enough to not have sex.. I just remember when I was 15 I walked to safeway with my now husband and bought condoms then went and did it at the beach! Yeah.. my parents were that strict! But they thought I was with a friend going to church group LOL Hey at least we had safe sex!

Quoting Anonymous:

She feels birth control will give her permission to have sex - and she's planning that (since they're 14/15 and can't drive) any guy who makes it past the interview their date will be completely chaperoned.

Quoting Sammi20:

hahaha no sounds funny as hell... it will either scare him away or show him that they care and are watching him! (Tell her to get her DD birth control Not joking there are WAY too many kids getting pregnant at 14 these days!!!)

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Hahaha an application? That's overboard imo.

My dad did pull them aside for a "talk" before I went on dates though. The usual "respect my daughter" stuff
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a bit much. The poor girl will never have a date.  Though maybe that's her REAL plan.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:13 AM

you got it

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a bit much. The poor girl will never have a date.  Though maybe that's her REAL plan.

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:19 AM

I'd say she isn't really ready for her daughter to date. I agree with knowing who your kids are with, but that may be a little extreme. At 14 I think it's better to have chaperoned "dates". Get to know the kid then, and only then maybe let them have an alone date.

(BBC=mrscorbin924)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
2m2t
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:19 AM

For the safety of our kids (yours and mine) I would definitely want to know YOUR phone number. Than does not mean that I would call you at 2 am for no reason or that I would start looking for your information online just because I have your phone number; but with so many persons missing and so many people killed lately yes! I would want to know a little about the boy and his family. I would not as him to fill a form though.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd be less uncomfortable with my son giving them MY phone number

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the form maybe.

I wont be comfortable with ppl i dont know having my son's class schedule.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Oh no - I would be fine with it. And if it was my child (we're talking at least 6 years from now) I would ask that they give our number to the parents incase of an event and vice versa - but I'd be a little concerned if they didn't *tell* me these people had my number

Quoting 2m2t:

For the safety of our kids (yours and mine) I would definitely want to know YOUR phone number. Than does not mean that I would call you at 2 am for no reason or that I would start looking for your information online just because I have your phone number; but with so many persons missing and so many people killed lately yes! I would want to know a little about the boy and his family. I would not as him to fill a form though.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd be less uncomfortable with my son giving them MY phone number

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the form maybe.

I wont be comfortable with ppl i dont know having my son's class schedule.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Sounds a little much, but I can understand where she might be coming from on that.

lovenMyfamily
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Just a little. I think wanting to verify their age is okay and for a family contact, but detentions/suspensions and classes is a little over board.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I think she put classes as a topic to have a conversation about (seeing as she will also be chaperoning she wanted to have *something* to talk about during the car ride etc) and detentions/suspensions for if her DD is messing with a bad boy

Quoting lovenMyfamily:

Just a little. I think wanting to verify their age is okay and for a family contact, but detentions/suspensions and classes is a little over board.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)