Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edited with new question* How do you and your partner divide household chores?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Today while vacuuming I thought of this. DH and I simply have an understanding that whoever is not at work does the things that need to be done the only exception is that he cuts the grass in summer.

We have some friends that are a couple and sometimes I can't help but almost giggle about their quirkiness. She WON'T shovel snow, acts like she doesn't know how. Claims she won't vacuum because she is OCD about the vacuum lines in the carpet and will spend hours doing so. BUT she won't let DH do the dishes or laundry among other things. They are just so silly to me. They are currently ttc and I just think it will be interesting to see what happens if they have a child.

How do you disperse chores in your house?

EDIT*** ok so, obviously if only one person works it's fair to assume that the other partner does more around the house but how about in situations where both work outside the home?

Example: DH works 3 12 hour shifts a week and I work 5 8hour shifts per week plus 30 sometimes+ hours of being "on call" at the hospital, as the woman do you feel that I should still play a traditional role in doing the majority of the housework?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
prenatalRN
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

We dont really have rules but we have task that we each do, it just sort of evolved that way. I do a little more household chores then my DH but he works more hours than I do so I am fine with that. Just to break it down, we each cook/clean the kitchen 50/50 and shop for groceries 50/50. I do the laundry, DH takes care of the cats. I clean the bathrooms though....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I say "get up off your ass and take the trash out" he responds "in a minute" I say "its been 20 min, do it now, or I am taking it out and I am taking the PS3 with it" Then he takes the trash out... which is really his only chore
PepperWillow
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Hubby does dishes and laundry. He takes out garbage and scrubs the toilet.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I clean kitchen and bath rooms and wash. I don't like the way he cleans them. He vacuums, sweeps, mops, dusts, takes out trash, puts up dishes,.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I do almost everything inside. He does outside stuff. He'll help me with inside stuff if I ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I do almost all of them. I am a stay at home mom. He will take the garbage out sime and helps out with other stuff occasionally

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM
See, that's how we are. We both work so whatever needs to be done is done by whoever is home at the time. We tag team and deep clean on the weekends we are both here.

Quoting mammabear18:

We don't divide stuff were a team and when things need done one of us will do it. If the trash needs taken out one of us will do it, if he's available and he sees the laundry starting to over flow and im not home he will toss the a load in etc etc...I guess we've been together so long we just work in sync.

shortcakes13
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Kinda...my dh works out of town for weeks at a time... but when he is home he will help out around the house... I usually have to ask but he doesn't throw a fit or anything..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I do everything since I am a sahm and neither of us handle any of the outside work.
happymama2D
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I pretty much do all the cleaning, laundry, etc. and my husband does most of the outside work, although we both pitch in when needed. I take care of most of the kids needs, but he is also really helpful in that department. We usually go grocery shopping together and we both cook. (He really like to cook and is quite good .... score!) It was never really discussed, it just kinda worked out that way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN