Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edited with new question* How do you and your partner divide household chores?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Today while vacuuming I thought of this. DH and I simply have an understanding that whoever is not at work does the things that need to be done the only exception is that he cuts the grass in summer.

We have some friends that are a couple and sometimes I can't help but almost giggle about their quirkiness. She WON'T shovel snow, acts like she doesn't know how. Claims she won't vacuum because she is OCD about the vacuum lines in the carpet and will spend hours doing so. BUT she won't let DH do the dishes or laundry among other things. They are just so silly to me. They are currently ttc and I just think it will be interesting to see what happens if they have a child.

How do you disperse chores in your house?

EDIT*** ok so, obviously if only one person works it's fair to assume that the other partner does more around the house but how about in situations where both work outside the home?

Example: DH works 3 12 hour shifts a week and I work 5 8hour shifts per week plus 30 sometimes+ hours of being "on call" at the hospital, as the woman do you feel that I should still play a traditional role in doing the majority of the housework?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
LaLa_Ivory
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Whoever is off when the other is at work does it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommamaggi
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We don't, he works 10 hours a day, 13 days on 1 day off... I do the house work and take care of the kids.

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Yep! Although he does usually cut the grass when he's home. Lol.

Quoting mammabear18:

We don't divide stuff were a team and when things need done one of us will do it. If the trash needs taken out one of us will do it, if he's available and he sees the laundry starting to over flow and im not home he will toss the a load in etc etc...I guess we've been together so long we just work in sync.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StrangeDays
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I'm a stay at home mom, so I usually do most of the stuff. With that said, we don't have "his chores" and "her chores," we just do whatever has to be done as it comes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Let's see... I'm a sahm and I do it all... I believe moms should... Df occasionally cooks, and may sweep if I ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Not really, I do most of it because I stay home, but if he comes home and sees I'm slacking a little he will help me out. I don't ask him too, he just does it.
mamanay041010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Well I'm kind of "old fashion" so I only refuse to do stuff like take out the trash kill bugs lift heavy things, (yes I'm just a mess) and I don't feel my husband is good at cleaning so on his off days (I'm a sham) I just ask him to either move things that are heavy into storage space or take out the trash, other than that he's in daddy mode and I do whatever it is I do when he's at work as far as house work goes, he's sweet and he'll help anyway and it gives us the chance to spend family time together though, of course if I'm unable to do housework he is more than willing.. I just really don't like taking trash out but I'm sure the day will come 

firehorse13

I work at home and homeschool my kids, and my husband works outside the home (with overtime more often then not).  That being said, my oldest is 10 and helps out quite a bit.  I cook, do laundry, mop, clean the kitchen, vacuum and clean the toilets/sinks.  My husband shovels so/mows the lawn/weed eats, takes the garbage out, and loads the dishwasher after dinner.  My daughter sweeps, sprays the tubs and showers before bed and unloads the dishwasher in the mornings.

mydarlingsofia

He'll do whatever I ask when I ask. But usually doesnt do anything on his own. It works fine for us :)

Yogamom08
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I am a sahm so I do all the cooking and cleaning. DH does the dishes whenever I ask him to, and he does the yard work. He also does the maintenance type stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)