Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edited with new question* How do you and your partner divide household chores?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Today while vacuuming I thought of this. DH and I simply have an understanding that whoever is not at work does the things that need to be done the only exception is that he cuts the grass in summer.

We have some friends that are a couple and sometimes I can't help but almost giggle about their quirkiness. She WON'T shovel snow, acts like she doesn't know how. Claims she won't vacuum because she is OCD about the vacuum lines in the carpet and will spend hours doing so. BUT she won't let DH do the dishes or laundry among other things. They are just so silly to me. They are currently ttc and I just think it will be interesting to see what happens if they have a child.

How do you disperse chores in your house?

EDIT*** ok so, obviously if only one person works it's fair to assume that the other partner does more around the house but how about in situations where both work outside the home?

Example: DH works 3 12 hour shifts a week and I work 5 8hour shifts per week plus 30 sometimes+ hours of being "on call" at the hospital, as the woman do you feel that I should still play a traditional role in doing the majority of the housework?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Replies (41-50):
evelynolivesmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I only trust him with trash, vacuuming and cleaning ceiling fans. I prefer to do the rest. He definitely does the outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
We don't I do everything while he's working or relaxing. Even if I worked it would still be the same.
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

When we see something that needs to be done, we do it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Since I stay at home then I see it as the house is my job to keep clean and orderly. He does dishes and yard work.
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I do all the housework, he takes the trash out when he goes to work, the garage is all his except for my two shelves of food so he takes care of it. I am a big girl, I am a sahm, I can and will do my job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
southernbelletx
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I enjoy yard work... But since I stay home I do it all m-f. He helps with dishes or light pick up on weekends
Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It isn't really a clear divide, except the kitchen (DH's) and bathroom (me) everything else gets done by whomever has time. 

niyahboo2012
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Team work don't divide anything as long as the house is clean
1wildchild
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM
He always helps with whatever I ask him to and sometimes without me asking. The only "agreement" is that he takes the trash out and drags the trash cans to/from the curb when he is home. He does his own laundry by choice but I'll wash it if I am doing other laundry and he asks me to wash something of his.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I do all the chores, he goes to work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)