Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Edited with new question* How do you and your partner divide household chores?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Today while vacuuming I thought of this. DH and I simply have an understanding that whoever is not at work does the things that need to be done the only exception is that he cuts the grass in summer.

We have some friends that are a couple and sometimes I can't help but almost giggle about their quirkiness. She WON'T shovel snow, acts like she doesn't know how. Claims she won't vacuum because she is OCD about the vacuum lines in the carpet and will spend hours doing so. BUT she won't let DH do the dishes or laundry among other things. They are just so silly to me. They are currently ttc and I just think it will be interesting to see what happens if they have a child.

How do you disperse chores in your house?

EDIT*** ok so, obviously if only one person works it's fair to assume that the other partner does more around the house but how about in situations where both work outside the home?

Example: DH works 3 12 hour shifts a week and I work 5 8hour shifts per week plus 30 sometimes+ hours of being "on call" at the hospital, as the woman do you feel that I should still play a traditional role in doing the majority of the housework?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Replies (81-89):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM
I'm really bad at mirrors/windows too but DH use to work for a car dealer and detailed new cars so he is a pro.

Quoting baquick:

We do what's needed as it is needed. We don't usually split them per say but he hates doing laundry so ill usually stay on top of it. (But he will do it) If he cooks, I do dishes. If I cook he does dishes. I don't do mirrors. Idk why but I don't. He usually gets them sparkly clean and it looks like crap when I do it lol. He usually tackles the bathroom.

ADC2005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I stay at home, my husband is a truck driver, my primary focus is our daughter and family time so chores get put off occasionally, when hubby is home we both do whatever is needed, I don't mow the yard and he dosnt do much in the kitchen but other then that we both do whatever is needed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I've tried that it didn't help the house just got yucky. =(

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry :( go on strike

Quoting deadlights86:

I seem to do everything dh won't do anything even if I ask him before I go to work.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Yes ma'am! I go nuts over how they load the dishwasher. They unload it (their only chore), they should see how it goes!

But is my fault but I am a perfectionist and I need to let them more:)

Thanks! We live in beautiful Montana.

Quoting robyann:

I know exactly what your saying! I feel like occasionally when they see things are getting out of my control, they should jump in and help. I guess it doesn't even enter their minds, lol. When I get sick, they do sorta help out, but what they do just makes more work for me when I'm better. One of my little pet peeves is when they "help ME", by unloading the dishwasher, they put everything in the wrong places! I mean come on you get them out of the cabinets, how can you not know where they go?!

But then I have to tell myself, it really is all my own fault. I've just always done everything so they just assume I'll always do it, or maybe they don't even realize that I do it, maybe they think the house cleaning fairy comes and it's all magically done! lol

Love your sn, what state are you in?

Quoting redneckmama4:

I've stayed home as well but find I get angry when no one can help a little. I feel taken advantage of. I even feel bad if i get sick.

Quoting robyann:

Quoting redneckmama4:

I am now payin' for a spoiled household...I do it all. He has never even cleaned our toilets.

Yep me too......I do it all....always have and now that our youngest is 17 years old, I still do it all.......I'm the momma I SAH, so I guess it's what I do. :)

robyann
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

LOL you sound just like me, I am a perfectionist too, and when they don't do it the "right" way I'd just rather do it myself.

Montana! Never been there, but have heard it is beautiful! I'm in Kentucky, I thought maybe you were from here or somewhere south because of your sn, redneckmama lol.

Quoting redneckmama4:

Yes ma'am! I go nuts over how they load the dishwasher. They unload it (their only chore), they should see how it goes!

Quoting robyann:

I know exactly what your saying! I feel like occasionally when they see things are getting out of my control, they should jump in and help. I guess it doesn't even enter their minds, lol. When I get sick, they do sorta help out, but what they do just makes more work for me when I'm better. One of my little pet peeves is when they "help ME", by unloading the dishwasher, they put everything in the wrong places! I mean come on you get them out of the cabinets, how can you not know where they go?!

But then I have to tell myself, it really is all my own fault. I've just always done everything so they just assume I'll always do it, or maybe they don't even realize that I do it, maybe they think the house cleaning fairy comes and it's all magically done! lol

Quoting redneckmama4:

I've stayed home as well but find I get angry when no one can help a little. I feel taken advantage of. I even feel bad if i get sick.

Quoting robyann:

Quoting redneckmama4:

I am now payin' for a spoiled household...I do it all. He has never even cleaned our toilets.

Yep me too......I do it all....always have and now that our youngest is 17 years old, I still do it all.......I'm the momma I SAH, so I guess it's what I do. :)

CookieMom108
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM

My husband works about 60 hours per week, and he does most of the housework.  Im a sahm. All I do is laundry, dishes and everyday tidying up.  He's the best :)  I'm so lucky and I tell him all the time how much I appreciate everything he does.  

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I do it all except for major repairs and lawn care. DH works and I stay home so it makes sense.

baquick
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM
It's so nuts. I use the EXACT same stuff he does and it always looks crappy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm really bad at mirrors/windows too but DH use to work for a car dealer and detailed new cars so he is a pro.

Quoting baquick:

We do what's needed as it is needed. We don't usually split them per say but he hates doing laundry so ill usually stay on top of it. (But he will do it) If he cooks, I do dishes. If I cook he does dishes. I don't do mirrors. Idk why but I don't. He usually gets them sparkly clean and it looks like crap when I do it lol. He usually tackles the bathroom.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a transplant:)

Raised by the sweetest southern lady ever, my Nana. I'm just a country girl.

Never been to Kentucky but would love to!

Quoting robyann:

LOL you sound just like me, I am a perfectionist too, and when they don't do it the "right" way I'd just rather do it myself.

Montana! Never been there, but have heard it is beautiful! I'm in Kentucky, I thought maybe you were from here or somewhere south because of your sn, redneckmama lol.

Quoting redneckmama4:

Quoting robyann:

Quoting redneckmama4:

Quoting robyann:

Quoting redneckmama4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured