Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

One that does not SUPPORT something does not EQUAL turning your back

Posted by   + Show Post

I do not support bad grades, drinking and driving, dating older men, never cleaning your room, or mouthing off.

Pregnancy is only one of many things I do not support as a parent raising a teen./

Saying you will not support a choice does not equal turning your back on a child.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
Robe739IsBack
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
... I was wondering where your other post had went. People quoted me & I didn't get to see, dang it! :-P

The CM Gods must be getting feisty these days, I've seen fast food debate conversations get more heated than that! O.o

Anywhoooozers, I totally understand what you're saying here & just wanted to say that I still respect you, eventhough there are some parenting choices that we disagree on. ;)

Neither is right or wrong IMO. Just different due to different past experiences & certain subjects that would lead us to feel strongly in a different direction. No biggie.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperJo
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe she meant she 'isn't in favor of' or 'wouldn't be in support of' for some things, and others she doesn't support. I wouldn't be in support of a romantic relationship between my teenage daughter and an adult man. That doesn't mean I'd kick her out of my home, stop speaking to or stop supporting her financially/emotionally/etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I am not understanding what is so controversial about what you are saying. Did I miss something?

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

we are not talking about love/support.

We are talking about not supporting choices and behaviors and not supporting them does not equal turning your back on a child. That is the topic.

Quoting scoutfamilyof7:

Kids are human right? They make mistakes! As parents all we can do is guide them and teach them, in the end it is all their decisions. Deciding to get bad grades knowing they will be grounded, deciding to get behind the wheel of a car and being drunk and knowing they could kill somebody, having unprotected sex knowing a baby could be an end result. For me and my husband we would be very disappointed at those decisions. However, we both have already talked about the pregnancy thing and we both will love and support them no matter what! Of course we will make them own up to their decisions, but I will make them finish their education so that they will not be another statistic and end up on PA. If that mean babysitting MY grandbaby, making sure he/she is fed and clothed, and allowing my child some kind of teenage hood than I will. Just because they had a baby does not mean their lives have to be made even more complicated, because it will already be complicated enough. That to me is loving and supporting my kids.

I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

no I think people like to assume (I wont support) equals, I ignore my kids LOL

Quoting mommyrustina:

I agree. I am not understanding what is so controversial about what you are saying. Did I miss something?

pbjtime87
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Quoting thetrollcat:

Yeah did not read that right... I've been reading too many titles that claim one thing and then posts something completely different within the post... Lol my bad... I was gonna say, "that's crazy if you turn your back on your kids over grades!"
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Robe you are just a nice big softy.

You are sincerely sweet and not enough sweets like you around haha I really mean that!

Although I can be the trouble maker I do make this place lively...

As for your quote the Anon admitted she was in the wrong you were right, but was mad I still hadnt answered her.

BTW, I loves you no matter what, hell I love everyone regardless if they agree with me or not. ;)

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

... I was wondering where your other post had went. People quoted me & I didn't get to see, dang it! :-P

The CM Gods must be getting feisty these days, I've seen fast food debate conversations get more heated than that! O.o

Anywhoooozers, I totally understand what you're saying here & just wanted to say that I still respect you, eventhough there are some parenting choices that we disagree on. ;)

Neither is right or wrong IMO. Just different due to different past experiences & certain subjects that would lead us to feel strongly in a different direction. No biggie.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

lol

I can be tricky....

Quoting pbjtime87:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Yeah did not read that right... I've been reading too many titles that claim one thing and then posts something completely different within the post... Lol my bad... I was gonna say, "that's crazy if you turn your back on your kids over grades!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

You are right! Bad grades might be something deeper...all depends on the reason and a good parent who does NOT support bad grades but doesn't turn their back founds out the reason, not just punishes.

Rebellious prengant teen...don't throw her out, but put down some tough love and force HER to raise the baby. And not keep the baby EVERY time she wants to just go out and be a kid. To go to school/work, yes. To party and hang out, no. A break every once in a while...maybe.

Drinking and driving....kid cleans up the car cleaner than it's ever been cleaned and puts a sign in it, run the ad to sell it and complete the transaction and then hands over the money to mom and dad!

Quoting thetrollcat:

Well I think the fine line is the punishment part....

Bad grades hard to punish especially a rebellious teen or a teen that gets pregnant...

But drinking and driving you lose your damn car! 

But ya Ill always love my kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. It shows maturity when you can say you don't support it but still not turn your back on whoever you don't agree with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I still think people were mostly confused as to what kind of support you meant.  But you have made it clear that you mean financial support.  As in you aren't willing to help pay for things your grandchild needs or things your new teen parents needs and/or wants.  Also, that you aren't going to be passing around any YAY! I am a grandmother cards lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)