Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

for moms with pools?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM
  • 35 Replies

so i just found the perfect house (we are buying a new house) it has everything we want but the only thing is it has an inground pool and i have 3 small kids.how do you mamas deal with a pool and little ones

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I had alarms on all doors that accessed the pool area as well as the pool itself. They also have strict instructions not to go out there without us. I've never had a problem.
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Alarm system. Plus they were taught the rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Locked gate/fence. Teach them the rules. Teach them to swim early.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Most communities have regulations where you need to have a self locking fence surrounding the pool area for just this reason.  I'd add a padlock as well if they're little.

And alarms on the doors - they don't have to be expensive, Radio Shack has alarms that would work.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I live with my in-laws (temporarily) and they have a pool. We were a bit worried about my two year old since it's not fenced off. We always kept an eye on him when he was outside (obviously), and he like to stick his hands in the water and splash it, so we made him lay on his belly to do it and explained that he wouldn't fall in that way. We also took him to mommy and me swim classes at our local pool, which helped him learn how to climb out of the pool, and how to hold his breath under water, etc. He now knows not to go in the pool unless an adult is in there, and although we still watch him closely when he goes outside, we are no longer worried about him falling (or jumping) in the pool. He honestly seems to understand.
s.osborne
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Supervision.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM

We have an indoor pool and the door is locked with a code. The keypad is high up so they won't be reaching it any time soon lol.

ksueditz
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM
We always pull the ladder when not in use. Reiterate the rules every season. No one allowed in w/o an adult. All but my 3 y/o have taken lessons. We don't have alarms but I might use them this summer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jazzdoll
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Swim lessons and supervision.

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM

We have a fence, lock, and alarm that sounds both outside and in the house.  We love our pool!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)