Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did he have the right?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 50 Replies
My dh and I just walked our 3 kids to the park. When we got there, there were probably 12 other kids there, but we were the only parents. It's a pretty common thing since it's in a residential area. The kids ranged from about 5-12.

Anyway, 2 bigger boys (probably 9 or so) started picking on another boy who was 7 or 8. They weren't hurting him, just telling him he was too little to play with them and that he needed to take his little girl bike and go home. A screaming match ensued.

My dh walks over there and tells the boys to cut it out and leave each other alone. One of the bigger boys starts talking back to him and telling him that he can't tell him what to do cause he's not his dad. My dh then starts telling the boy (loudly) he needs to leave the park and not come back until he has changed his attitude problem. The boy wound up in tears and left the park.

I told my dh he needed to back off, but he wouldn't. I didn't mind him breaking up the fight. In fact, I was pretty proud of him, but I thought he overstepped his boundaries telling him to leave and not come back. I'm not upset with him, but he does stuff like this ALL the time. If the other kids' parent isn't there, he steps in and disciplines (not physically, but verbally). It drives me nuts and I'm just waiting for the day he gets the crap beat out of him by an angry dad.

What do you think? Is it his right to tell these kids what to do if the parents aren't present?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

No, he doesn't have the right. He needs to find and speak to a parent, not yell at another person's child. Not only is it not his child, it isn't his property to kick someone off of. I agree that the other child was being a snot, but he should have given the younger child an out, not disciplined another person's child. What was he going to do if the boy DIDN'T leave?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ksueditz
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I've told older kids at the park to stop swearing or leave. Like teenaged. Sometimes you have to step in, to keep everyone safe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I don't know. We were actually in the process of leaving at the time, so he probably would've just gotten mad and left. I'm glad you agree with me. He thinks he has every right if the parent isn't there and it's so frustrating.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

No, he doesn't have the right. He needs to find and speak to a parent, not yell at another person's child. Not only is it not his child, it isn't his property to kick someone off of. I agree that the other child was being a snot, but he should have given the younger child an out, not disciplined another person's child. What was he going to do if the boy DIDN'T leave?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
z0mbiepenguin
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I would have done the same thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM
See, that makes since to me. It's a little different with teenagers IMO. And like I said, I was proud of him for breaking up the fight, but I feel like he should've walked away at that point.

Quoting ksueditz:

I've told older kids at the park to stop swearing or leave. Like teenaged. Sometimes you have to step in, to keep everyone safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I wouldn't have had a problem with it at all. And if my child were misbehaving when I wasn't around to do something about it, I would be very fine with another parent telling my child he had better behave. I don't know about telling the kid to go home... but yeah, I don't have a problem with it.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM
5 moms liked this

I'm with your husband - it takes a village.

If you don't want me to yell at your kid - then teach your kid to behave BEFORE you set them loose on the world without supervision.

Jers.
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I admit, sometimes I can't help myself - I don't yell though.

Whenever we watch "What Would You Do?", my kids laugh and say "hey mom, that's what you do too" lol

aritoyh
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I'm on your husbands side because I would have done the same thing. 

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I'm just a really non confrontational person, so the thought of making parents (who live on our street) mad isn't pleasant lol.

Quoting z0mbiepenguin:

I would have done the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)