Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I told my nephew I don't believe in God.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 117 Replies
1 mom liked this

A few days ago, my nephew asked me why I don't go to church on Sunday's with the rest of the family. I explained to him that there are many religions out there in the world, and not everyone goes to church on Sunday, and that even though they might go, that doesn't mean that they are Christian. I explained to him that many religions celebrate on Sunday's, and its not just Christians that do.

He asked me then if I was a Christian, or anything like one. I told him no, I wasn't. He asked me what I was, and what I believed in. I told him I didn't believe in anything, and that I was not a Christian, that I had my own reasons why I wasn't, but that didn't mean that he shouldn't believe in whatever he wanted to believe in. I told him that it was perfectly fine for him to go on Sunday's to church, and for him to believe in God. He asked me why I didn't believe, and I simply told him that I had my own personal reasons why I didn't believe. He dropped it, and I thought everything was fine and over with. I had explained a lot of religions to him, and their belief systems, and their celebrations, and why some people believe what they do. I did that to best of my knowledge.

HOLY SHIT!!!! He had went and told his dad ( my brother ) that I don't believe in God ( which I don't ) and that I had explained to him that not a lot of people do, and that some people would think that he is wrong for believing in God! His dad came to me and basically went off the deep end! After the endless screaming fit that my brother went thru, I sat him down and explained to him that his son had asked me why I don't go to church with them on Sunday's and so I told him, and I explained a lot of religions to him, and told him that no, a lot of people don't believe in God the same way he does, but never did I say that because of his belief people would think he is wrong for that. I told my brother the same exact thing that I told his son. He was still upset that I told him that I don't believe in God, but like I told my brother, I have my own reasons why I don't, and nothing anyone says or does will change that.

Since then, I've hardly seen or talked to my nephew, or my brother. I heard thru the grapevine that my brother no longer wants me around his son because I don't * believe in the right thing and abide by the Bible *. I've tried to talk to them both, but any chance I get is soon squished because my brother always thinks of some excuse to leave, or he just flat out ignores me.

I get it totally that they don't understand why I don't believe in God. Very few people understand why I don't, but they respect it and don't ever bring it up, nor do they push their belief on me. I'm about to the point where I just give up trying to talk to my brother and my nephew and let them be.

I have not went to church in 13, almost 14 years. Not once has this been an issue before. Yes, my DD goes to church because I want her to know a wide variety of religions, and I want her to understand them. Then, in later years, when she has the understanding to make a choice of her own, I will let her choose her religion, if she wants too. If she wants to continue with church, I will NOT stop her. No one else has an issue with me not going to church, or me not believing in God. Why would it become an issue all of a sudden?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM
6 moms liked this

a theological discussion with an underage niece or nephew was not in your realm of responsibility in any way, shape, or form.  while I'm an athiest, I would not have an in-depth talk with anyone underage about it, because it's not my place to put ideas in anyone's head.  that is his parents' job until he's of age to make a determination for himself.

and your "it's perfectly all right" sounds condescending as hell.

momof2girls89
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
9 moms liked this

I found that it's perfectly fine for religious people to tell everybody about their beliefs, but Athiests are supposed to keep it a secret, like it's something shameful. My mom HATES that I told my 6 year old that I don't belive in God. Then only thing you can really do is give it time. He may realize what a dick he's being and decide to talk to you again. I'm sorry he's treating you like that 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

He is not underage. He is 11 years old, and knows that there are other religions out there. He knows that he believes in God, while someone else may not. I wanted him to be informed about it, and he was. Before my brother left, I had asked him if he felt that I was out of line, and he said no himself, that he was appreciative that I did explain other religions to him, but that he just wished that I hadn't of told him that I didn't believe in God. That was the only issue my brother had with the whole thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

a theological discussion with an underage niece or nephew was not in your realm of responsibility in any way, shape, or form.  while I'm an athiest, I would not have an in-depth talk with anyone underage about it, because it's not my place to put ideas in anyone's head.  that is his parents' job until he's of age to make a determination for himself.

mary841108
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

i would have told him santa was a fraud after that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM
3 moms liked this

from your own post, it sure doesn't sound like he knew a lot about other religions before you started an extremely in-depth response to a "why don't you go to church with us on Sunday?"  should have been about a two sentence response, but apparently you got into a soliloquy.

and 11 is underage.  17 is underage.  wasn't your place.  period.

Quoting Anonymous:

He is not underage. He is 11 years old, and knows that there are other religions out there. He knows that he believes in God, while someone else may not. I wanted him to be informed about it, and he was. Before my brother left, I had asked him if he felt that I was out of line, and he said no himself, that he was appreciative that I did explain other religions to him, but that he just wished that I hadn't of told him that I didn't believe in God. That was the only issue my brother had with the whole thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with you. My DD ( who is 7 years old ) knows that I don't believe in God, but does she push it? No. I told her that Mama has her own reasons why I don't believe, and she left it alone. She, at 7 years old, knows that there are other religions out there, and she respects that not everyone believes the same way.

I just wish he would come around and realize that I'm still the same person as I was 3 weeks ago, just that now he knows I don't believe in God. I'm no different as I was then, than I am now.

Quoting momof2girls89:

I found that it's perfectly fine for religious people to tell everybody about their beliefs, but Athiests are supposed to keep it a secret, like it's something shameful. My mom HATES that I told my 6 year old that I don't belive in God. Then only thing you can really do is give it time. He may realize what a dick he's being and decide to talk to you again. I'm sorry he's treating you like that 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

And once again, I will  tell you that my own brother, who is his father, said that he is not upset at me for explaining other religions to him, that he is upset with me for telling him that I myself don't believe in God.

You feel that he is underage......I don't. Not for a talk and explanation of something that my 7 year old understands and respects. We agree to disagree on that certain topic.

Quoting Anonymous:

from your own post, it sure doesn't sound like he knew a lot about other religions before you started an extremely in-depth response to a "why don't you go to church with us on Sunday?"  should have been about a two sentence response, but apparently you got into a soliloquy.

and 11 is underage.  17 is underage.  wasn't your place.  period.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM

oh, and in your post where it says you haven't seen your brother or nephew since this debacle?  and that he doesn't want you around him or his son?  that really doesn't sound like he's as appreciative as you'd like to portray he was.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

It becomes an issue because it seems like you are trying to indoctrinate your young nephew into not believing in God.  Which is basically what you're doing, when you tell an impressionable child something like that.  Especially coming from a probably much-loved aunt.  I would be pissed off too, if a close family member started telling my kids that stuff.  Keep it to yourself.  If you want to be all high & mighty and believe you're one of the elite saying God Doesn't Exist, then go right ahead, but keep your bullshit away from my kids.  When they turn 18 they can make up their own minds, until then, shut your face. 

momof2girls89
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you very much for proving my point. 

As for what's in red, it can be turned on you. You have indoctrinated your children into your faith.

Quoting Anonymous:

It becomes an issue because it seems like you are trying to indoctrinate your young nephew into not believing in God.  Which is basically what you're doing, when you tell an impressionable child something like that.  Especially coming from a probably much-loved aunt.  I would be pissed off too, if a close family member started telling my kids that stuff.  Keep it to yourself.  If you want to be all high & mighty and believe you're one of the elite saying God Doesn't Exist, then go right ahead, but keep your bullshit away from my kids.  When they turn 18 they can make up their own minds, until then, shut your face. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)