Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I told my nephew I don't believe in God.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

A few days ago, my nephew asked me why I don't go to church on Sunday's with the rest of the family. I explained to him that there are many religions out there in the world, and not everyone goes to church on Sunday, and that even though they might go, that doesn't mean that they are Christian. I explained to him that many religions celebrate on Sunday's, and its not just Christians that do.

He asked me then if I was a Christian, or anything like one. I told him no, I wasn't. He asked me what I was, and what I believed in. I told him I didn't believe in anything, and that I was not a Christian, that I had my own reasons why I wasn't, but that didn't mean that he shouldn't believe in whatever he wanted to believe in. I told him that it was perfectly fine for him to go on Sunday's to church, and for him to believe in God. He asked me why I didn't believe, and I simply told him that I had my own personal reasons why I didn't believe. He dropped it, and I thought everything was fine and over with. I had explained a lot of religions to him, and their belief systems, and their celebrations, and why some people believe what they do. I did that to best of my knowledge.

HOLY SHIT!!!! He had went and told his dad ( my brother ) that I don't believe in God ( which I don't ) and that I had explained to him that not a lot of people do, and that some people would think that he is wrong for believing in God! His dad came to me and basically went off the deep end! After the endless screaming fit that my brother went thru, I sat him down and explained to him that his son had asked me why I don't go to church with them on Sunday's and so I told him, and I explained a lot of religions to him, and told him that no, a lot of people don't believe in God the same way he does, but never did I say that because of his belief people would think he is wrong for that. I told my brother the same exact thing that I told his son. He was still upset that I told him that I don't believe in God, but like I told my brother, I have my own reasons why I don't, and nothing anyone says or does will change that.

Since then, I've hardly seen or talked to my nephew, or my brother. I heard thru the grapevine that my brother no longer wants me around his son because I don't * believe in the right thing and abide by the Bible *. I've tried to talk to them both, but any chance I get is soon squished because my brother always thinks of some excuse to leave, or he just flat out ignores me.

I get it totally that they don't understand why I don't believe in God. Very few people understand why I don't, but they respect it and don't ever bring it up, nor do they push their belief on me. I'm about to the point where I just give up trying to talk to my brother and my nephew and let them be.

I have not went to church in 13, almost 14 years. Not once has this been an issue before. Yes, my DD goes to church because I want her to know a wide variety of religions, and I want her to understand them. Then, in later years, when she has the understanding to make a choice of her own, I will let her choose her religion, if she wants too. If she wants to continue with church, I will NOT stop her. No one else has an issue with me not going to church, or me not believing in God. Why would it become an issue all of a sudden?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Replies (51-60):
NewMamaBoo
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Ya idk but I know people like that and it really bothers me. I don't think the parents see any issue with it or realize it will affect their kid later. . .

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't believe someone would be like that.....why would you want your kid to be so narrow minded, and closed minded to things that are obviously going to affect them later in life? Let them know and understand them now, that way there are no odd questions later on.

Quoting NewMamaBoo:

Some people really do shelter their kids that much. They don't want them to think they have any options

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you!!!! I didn't know that he didn't realize that not every one isn't a Christian. I mean he's 11, almost 12! My 7 year old DD knows that not everyone believes in God, and that not everyone is a Christian.

Quoting Anonymous:

We are Christians and my son is 5. He knows that not everybody believes in God. It upsets him but he knows. Imo even children should know that others don't share their faith.

It wasn't your place but it doesn't sound like you meant any harm. I mean you were just being honest and had no clue he didn't know not everybody believes.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Would your brother have preferred you lying to your nephew? I'm sure your nephew appreciated the truth...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Ok. Nowhere in that entire story was she trying to indoctrinate her nephew into NOT believing in God, he asked a question, she answered it, which is how religion should work! I believe in God, yet I dont call myself a Christian, I dont believe in organized religion or naming my faith. My son is 8 years old and he has an Uncle that doesnt belive in God, and guess what he knows he uncle doesnt believe, he heard his uncle say the word atheist and ask me what that was and I explained it, and his uncle and aunt still see him, I will NOT raise my son to judge others for their beliefs. Did it change my sons feelings about God, NO, did it change his feelings about his uncle NO, oh and the discussion happened infront of his uncle who helped explain too. WHat she should have done was go get his daddy and talk about it together! But again, she was not telling him not to believe in God!

Quoting Anonymous:

It becomes an issue because it seems like you are trying to indoctrinate your young nephew into not believing in God.  Which is basically what you're doing, when you tell an impressionable child something like that.  Especially coming from a probably much-loved aunt.  I would be pissed off too, if a close family member started telling my kids that stuff.  Keep it to yourself.  If you want to be all high & mighty and believe you're one of the elite saying God Doesn't Exist, then go right ahead, but keep your bullshit away from my kids.  When they turn 18 they can make up their own minds, until then, shut your face. 

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:33 AM

So should she have lied, or shut down her nephew's line of communication? It's not really a secret that there are many other religions (or lack thereof) out there...

Quoting Anonymous:

It becomes an issue because it seems like you are trying to indoctrinate your young nephew into not believing in God.  Which is basically what you're doing, when you tell an impressionable child something like that.  Especially coming from a probably much-loved aunt.  I would be pissed off too, if a close family member started telling my kids that stuff.  Keep it to yourself.  If you want to be all high & mighty and believe you're one of the elite saying God Doesn't Exist, then go right ahead, but keep your bullshit away from my kids.  When they turn 18 they can make up their own minds, until then, shut your face. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:34 AM
I really do think he did, because my little birdie told me earlier that she had talked to my nephew, and said that he had told her since our talk, a lot of things are making sense now. He didn't understand why some of his classmates didn't do certain holidays but now he does.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Would your brother preferred you lying to your nephew? I'm sure your nephew appreciated the truth...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM

YOu call yourself a Christian and then teach your children to be judgemental and hateful..wow! This is why I belive in God but not Organized religon!

Quoting Anonymous:

You're damn skippy, I'm not going to portray any religion other than  my own in a "good light".  I am not going to tell my kids that we believe in God, we believe that Jesus died for our sins, we believe that Jesus is the way to heaven---but turn around 5 minutes later and say, oh but hey, if you don't want to believe in Jesus, check out Islam.  Or how bout you just convert to Judaism?  And hey kiddo, if you want to reject God altogether, I think there's a Church of Satan somewhere in our neighborhood!  Give me a break lady.  If they want to question it & start learning, they can do it when they come of age.  Until then, I'm not presenting anything other than Christianity.  They will know of other choices through school and friends, I'm sure of it.  They will be aware of it.  But they will also be strong enough in our religion to know that what we believe is the path to Heaven and if someone else wants to believe otherwise, then that's their business. 

Quoting Anonymous:

How can they make up their own mind if they don't know there are choices and different beliefs? If you don't want anyone sharing their belief systems with your kids, how do you expect them to learn? It's obvious with your response you wouldn't portray any religion but your own in a good light.

Quoting Anonymous:

shortcakes13
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM
You did nothing wrong. It is good for kids to get different perspectives and learn about other people's beliefs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Thank you. I don't understand why he doesn't let me see my nephew. I mean, if he's pissed at me, take it up with me. Don't withhold my nephew from me.

Quoting shortcakes13:

You did nothing wrong. It is good for kids to get different perspectives and learn about other people's beliefs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:38 AM
To constantly say how Christian like or How Jesus like of you is very childish! You sound like a child. If you don't believe in him than so be it but be an adult and have some respect.

Quoting Anonymous:

How very Jesus-like of you to pin-point out something about someone that you know  may be a sensitive subject to them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where on earth did you find a size 28 wedding dress, that's what I want to know! 

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

I really hope you never tell or make it known to any children other than your own that you believe in god.

Quoting Anonymous:

deepthinker
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't get why a lot of people are saying it wasn't her place.  He asked her a question, she answered it. If a child  asked a Christian why they GO to church and what they believe in.  I can guarantee that not one would think twice if they answer them.  But Atheist are suppose to hide in the closet like we are keeping some dirty little secret. She wasn't pushing her beliefs on him, she just answered his question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured