Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

interview help... when the man interviewing doent like women...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
Finally interviewing for a full time job in the field I have a degree. Well said field is male dominated. For interviews I usually wear skirts and make up, just dress up. Being a male dominated field I wasn't sure if that was appropriate, being all girly looking, so I was already stumped. Well a male friend who worked at this place at one point told me that the person who will be interviewing me has a huge issue with females in this field. I've already talked to the owner but this could still be a problem. I know lots feel that way, and he can feel how he wants, as long as he doesn't blatantly discriminate against me for it. I already knew I could come across this problem so im still willing to give the place a try and its the only place hiring. I've already decided if his feelings are obvious, he will be told and I will walk out. Now im just wondering how I should present myself. Advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Wear a pantsuit, be super confident, have a good strong handshake.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM
4 moms liked this

Pantsuit, hair in a bun, minimal makeup, flats instead of heels, strong handshake, good eye contact!

mommamaggi
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Pants suit, flats, modest make up and no cleavage. 

FL2AK
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Perfect advice!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Pantsuit, hair in a bun, minimal makeup, flats instead of heels, strong handshake, good eye contact!

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I agree!

Quoting FL2AK:

Perfect advice!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I agree with others. Be professional, but not cold. Do you know anything he likes or is looking for?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kysmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Very well said...agreed.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Not specifically. I've been messaging a few friends who have or do work there but haven't heard back from any of them. They don't often get degreed people walking in there looking for a job so I really thought I had it in the bag but with this guy not liking women there... kwim. I have great experience and references for a entry level position but damn my vagina lol.

Quoting TheMrs407:

I agree with others. Be professional, but not cold. Do you know anything he likes or is looking for?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Damnit no pants suits. That's just how much I don't wear them. I've had my last job for 7 years now so im interview ignorant now and with the vag issue on top of that... I wonder how much those things cost cause im broke! Wracking my brain trying to think of someone my size. But I wonder if he will throw me in the lab to sink or swim in that case, no pant suit. Damnit I wish these guys would get back on their facebook and tell me what im in for!
NHGal
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Wear what you feel comfortable in.  Is this an office job?  Because if it is, if you wear something you aren't comfortable in to the interview, is that something you are going to want to continue to wear every day, kwim?

If you have the skills, your gender shouldn't matter.  You said that you have already had one interview, so a 2nd one is a good sign.  But as a hiring manager, if I have 2 equally qualified candidates, it comes down to the chemistry between myself and the candidates.  Good luck, be yourself and what will happen, will happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN