Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A question for you Moms who don't believe in God!!! PIOG

What in your life made you stop believing in God? What would you do if your children told you they wanted to go to a church n worship God? I hope you all don't mind me asking but I was always wonder this.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
Shermy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Nothing made me stop believing in god. I never believed in a god in the first place. Many of my extra cirricular activities were put on by religious groups, I went to church summer camps, my mom took us church on important holidays, I went to church with friends after sleeping over at their house (with exposure to many different faiths), and from a really young age, I was always baffled that people could believe in a god. Even in my youth it seemed like such a huge logical leap. 

I am an Athiest, not an Antitheist. If my children expressed intrest in going to church, I would go with them joyfully, answer their questions, and be respectful both during services and their choice in faith (assuming it was a healthy faith, pass on the cults thanks). 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I never started, so therefore I never stopped.  If, as adults (which mine are now anyway - mostly), if they researched it, and chose to do this, it would be their choice.

softkitty42
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

i just never believed, dont know why i just never did. 

he goes to church with his grandma when she wants to take him, i have no problem with him choosing a God

Dungonecrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Exactly. I went to several churches, some even non denominational churches, and I too felt like the outsider. I was that freak asking the questions that no one else dared to ask on Sundays lol. I still know and talk to many of those people, but they respect the fact that I just can't bring myself to follow God.

Quoting SammiBaby:

I felt the same way as a child. My family didn't really go to church so my curiosity extended into my friend's families. I would go to many different ones and never felt comfortable. Like I was somehow an outsider and could see beyond what they were preaching about, despite how nice and accomodating the people of the church were.

Quoting Dungonecrazy:

I just did a lot of searching for and within myself. The God thing just didn't seem right to me. Even as a young kid, going to church felt weird.

If my kids came to me believing, I'd be happy and supportive of them, and be happier if they found that path on their own. I don't want them to be forced into any following, I want them to find these things out for themselves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Well I always questioned it. It just all never made sense to me.

My final straw was the saints not going to the super bowl in 06. Lol I gave up on the Christian god after that. I was done. Completley stopped believing in him.

After that I just did a lot of searching and found my own truth.

I would be totally fine with whatever religious or non religious path my children choose as long as it isn't anything extremely radical or harmful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM
This post is sad.
justone_jen
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I never believed. I went through the motions because I didn't know any better.

If my child decides to be Christian, I will support her. My goal isn't to raise an atheist, but to raise a free-thinking, educated individual. It's up to her from there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SammiBaby
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Yeah I was the exact same person. I never understood why noone else was asking the questions that I was asking. A good 97% of my friends/family believe in God or some form of it. My best friend is a very devout catholic but she is very understanding of the fact that I just do not believe in those things. People like her make me have a better outlook on people of faith considering she is very non-judgmental and doesn't look at me as a challenge she must conquer.

Quoting Dungonecrazy:

Exactly. I went to several churches, some even non denominational churches, and I too felt like the outsider. I was that freak asking the questions that no one else dared to ask on Sundays lol. I still know and talk to many of those people, but they respect the fact that I just can't bring myself to follow God.

Quoting SammiBaby:

I felt the same way as a child. My family didn't really go to church so my curiosity extended into my friend's families. I would go to many different ones and never felt comfortable. Like I was somehow an outsider and could see beyond what they were preaching about, despite how nice and accomodating the people of the church were.

Quoting Dungonecrazy:

I just did a lot of searching for and within myself. The God thing just didn't seem right to me. Even as a young kid, going to church felt weird.

If my kids came to me believing, I'd be happy and supportive of them, and be happier if they found that path on their own. I don't want them to be forced into any following, I want them to find these things out for themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I took care of my aunt the last 6 months of her life, she passed in Dec. 2009, my son (not quite 2 years old) tragically died in April 2010, March 2011 I lost my mom, June 2011 I lost my granny. After all of those close losses so close together I lost my faith/belief in God. I have tried to get it back but just can not believe someone that is suppose to be so good can put me through so much pain.

caito
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I don't think I ever really believed. But it was my own research and debate that led me to realizing my atheism.

If my daughter wanted to go to church, first of all I'd wonder who the hell taughter her about religion in the first place. I keep religion out of my child's life as much as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN