Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just put him in daycare already!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
My nephew is 3 years old and doesn't talk other than ma. He does sign. My sil is deaf and for the most part my nephew is only around other people in the deaf community.
My son is younger than my nephew and has an awesome vocabulary for his age. I try to go over as much as possible, but it ends up being once sometimes twice a month.
Last week we took my nephew to the doctor and he was concerned that he doesn't speak. His hearing is fine, he just doesn't talk. So the doctor suggested daycare, not full-time, just a few hours a day. My sil refused, so I suggested she join my playgroup. Nope. Today I took over a brochure to my son's preschool. They're reputable, not too expensive and they provide transportation.
She just refuses to put him in daycare or preschool.
I'm at my wits end trying to help her. She's doing a disservice to my nephew and if she wants children's services involved, not my problem!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Why would CPS need to be involved? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
That makes me so mad. I hate when parents are not proactive about their childs needs!

Yes, the child learning sign is great!! But words and being able to speak is highly important. Im sure its tough for her, but their are so many options for him.

How sad!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
7 moms liked this

She might just want to raise him in the deaf community. And ASL is a language, so he does "talk," it is just not a language you speak.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
he's gonna have a hard time.
brittany208
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Yeah, she needs to be doing everything she can to get him around other people so he can learn to talk to. That's great that he can sign, but he should be able to talk to, since he is physically capable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM
No one id saying she shouldn't teach him to sign, hell, my son also signs as well as me. But my nephew is hearing and should also learn to speak.

Quoting Anonymous:

She might just want to raise him in the deaf community. And ASL is a language, so he does "talk," it is just not a language you speak.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Children's services here also gets involved in these types of things. Not saying I would call, because I wouldn't. But the doctor might.

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM
In a couple of years he is going to start school and won't be able to communicate. That is doing him a huge disservice.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Really?  How is this any type of abuse?  He maybe behind socially, but nothing that the school probably wouldn't give extra attention to if they feel he needs it when he starts school. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Children's services here also gets involved in these types of things. Not saying I would call, because I wouldn't. But the doctor might.

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Can he sign?  At least he can learn some communication skills if he is signing.

If he were a deaf child of hearing parents and parents refused to sign, or couldn't, or wouldn't allow him around other people who could sign, we would be all over that like a fly on a turd.  It's the same concept.  He needs to be around other people who can speak and help him learn to talk.  Sure, some deaf people are oral but they can't really help him learn to talk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured