Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a WAHM not a SAHM!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
There's a difference. I refuse to fall under the stereotype SAHM. I'm not lazy as I do more than a SAHM!!

I'm not against a SAHM. I just believe in making my fair share.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Replies (331-340):
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM
It's so annoying to me when SAHM's say they work 24 hours a day 7 days a week. You may be *on call* but your kids and you must sleep sometime. And, yes, it is work to feed, bath, cloth and otherwise care for your children, but you're not doing that continuously.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a sahm and I am not lazy.  I do my share.  I cook, clean, teach our children, all while DH is at work.  I work 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.  He works 10 hour days 4 days a week.  I don't ask him to do much when he is home.  I don't think Sahms are lazy at all.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Obviously I agree that saying you work 24/7 is crap. I think the whole "mommy wars" are stupid. This op is inflammatory (and made up IMO) and the op did say sahm's are lazy. That is where the "I work way more than you so neeener neener boo boo" comments come from. As women we should be holding each other up and be glad that we have the choice these days to do as we see fit.

Quoting Anonymous:

All the SAHM's I know are NEVER called lazy or invaluable. For example, my SIL is a SAHM of 2 kids, ages 3 and 5. She has to ALWAYS remind people, whether it's on Facebook or wherever that she works "24/7" - I know how NO ONE that has EVER told her she was lazy or invaluable. She just automatically feels entitled to remind everyone of everything she does. I never once said SAHM's are lazy. I have always thought they were very valuable. I hope to stay home one day too. I would NEVER feel bad or lazy for doing it. But I would never tell a working mom I work harder than her, which is exactly what you're saying when you say I work 24/7. NO YOU DON'T.  

Quoting justinnaimee:

The reason some say crap like that is we are constantly told we are lazy and invaluable. Just like this post. Many feel the need to justify their choices and use that kind of rhetoric to do so.

I just don't understand why people like the op feel the need to be such jerks. Reality for me is I couldn't contribute just as much as dh. Even with my degree is be looking at maybe 50k per year. That doesn't even touch Dh's salary and he only works 6 months out of the year.

And beyond that my dream was to stay at home and raise my kids. IDC if that makes me lazy. My hubby agrees and we can afford it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I personally hate when SAHM's say "I work 24 hrs a day 7 days a week". No, you really don't. You are "on call" per se. I also hate it when they say "I am a Dr., a Maid, a teacher, a driver, a care taker, a chef, etc." OMG to be a Dr. you have to do more than administer tylenol and give hugs. I hate this. I am not saying SAHM are not valuable, because they absolutely are. But it's almost like you have this sense of entitlement and it drives me crazy. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never understood thinking like this. It's not giving up on a dream, it's having a new dream and rolling with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

So mommy taught you that you can't have it all.   She taught you that you have to give up your dream if you want children.  How sad.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

My mother graduated from Penn State in the 70s with a degree in Aerospace Engineering, the only woman in her class. She was still a SAHM until I was 15. Why? Because she CHOSE to. Because she felt that the greatest contribution she could make to society was preparing her 4 children to live in society.

Stop assuming that all SAHMs are uneducated little dinks trying to achieve nothing in life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you teach your children only about your miniscule microcosm too?

I assume all women are capable of having an advanced education and contributing more than McDonalds....some don't try though. They settle for being June Cleaver. How endearing.

Quoting Anonymous:

So basically you think that a mom having any job at all is better than what I do?  That some mom that works at Mcdonalds is contributing more to society than I am just because she has a job and I don't? And no I am not saying that is what I am qualified to do so don't go jumping to any conclusions.  I don't have to fill my life full of a bunch of extra curricular activities so that I feel like I am making a difference in the world.  I make a difference every day to the only world that matters to me: My Family.  They are my world and I contribute to their betterment every single day.  If you want to work or need to work, or whatever your personal situation is thats fine with me.  I don't think I am better than you are.  I don't see why you have to feel like you are better than anyone else.  I know that at the end of each day my family and I are happy and that's what counts in my book. As long as you can say the same(however you achieve that happiness) then you are obviously doing something right.  I see no reason to be so condescending about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok martha stewart...your contribution is awesome by doing dishes and laundry.. keep thinking you are adding anything to society.

Quoting Anonymous:

That still doesn't make me lazy.  Just because you work and I don't doesn't mean I am lazy.  Thats not how that works.  It just means that my DH makes enough money that I can concentrate all my efforts on making his life, our kids' lives, and our home as comfortable as possible.

Quoting Anonymous:

And some of us work 10 hour days and do all the housework at home and take care of our children. No kudos for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a sahm and I am not lazy.  I do my share.  I cook, clean, teach our children, all while DH is at work.  I work 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.  He works 10 hour days 4 days a week.  I don't ask him to do much when he is home.  I don't think Sahms are lazy at all.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Good grief.

SAHM are not any lazier than WAHM or WOHM.  Some "people" are lazy and some are not.  

Everyone does what they think is best and everyone else, unless there is abuse going on, should leave them alone.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I am a WAHM too, I wish I were just a SAHM (I say "just" not out of disrespect but working while watching a 2 year old is far too exhausting and I feel I do a lousy job at both my "jobs" because of it).

I do not think most SAHMs are lazy. I have a lot of "friends" who seem to forget that I do everything they do bit also work 45 hours a week but don't get to do the fun stuff like play dates and swimming lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Love060708kids
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  

So stay at home moms are lazy?  News to me.

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Yippeee I had my share of bust my ass days as a SAHM , now I have lazy days as a SAHM.

I love my life :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I am a WAHM, home school our children, and do the cooking, cleaning and laundry.  I am by no means lazy.  I do my share.  I actually do more than my SO and he works from home too.

OP:  Are you looking for some special recognition.....I don't get it.  I do all that you do with 2 children underfoot all day everyday.

Quoting Anonymous:

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe all Moms work 24/7 regardless of our status.

Quoting Anonymous:

workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM

can of worms

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM

It indicates that I have a daughter that I love. How awful.

Quoting Anonymous:

You chose to identify yourself by that tag.  Your choice and it indicates something about your life.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Wait, so you can look at one tiny, insignificant piece of my life in a signature on a social networking site (for mothers, no less) and presume to know everything about me? Wow you should work for the Psychic Friends Network.

Quoting Anonymous:

How do I figure?   I look at your signature, that is how.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

How do you figure? Before I was Kaelaa's mom, I was a United States Marine. While being Kaelaa's mother, I have been Katie, the Nutrition Staff at Head Start. I am also Katie, Jason's wife. I am also Katie, a knitter, reader and volunteer. I am also Katie, a college student. How does being a SAHM eave me without an identity?

Quoting Anonymous:

But she didn't teach you to be known as more than someone's mom and have an identity of your own.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)