Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a WAHM not a SAHM!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
There's a difference. I refuse to fall under the stereotype SAHM. I'm not lazy as I do more than a SAHM!!

I'm not against a SAHM. I just believe in making my fair share.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Replies (821-830):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 154 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I am a SAHM, I work 24/7. All week, I chase my 2 year old around, play with her, teach her, read to her. I clean all day.  At 5:00 I make dinner, then I clean up dinner, then I bath my toddler (then  i clean up the mess she made on the bath room floor by dumping water out of the tub. Then i get to clean her room and get her ready for bed. We take our 2 dogs for walks everyday.(have you ever tried to push a stroller while walking 2 dogs on leashes?)  I get up at 6 AM so I can exercise before she wakes up. I go to school full time online. I spend my "free time" arranging play dates, projects, and outings for the weekend. Man! I am so GLAD that i get to sit at home and be LAZY! whew! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 155 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM
That's funny :) That's great your a wahm did your husband or someone tell you your lazy? Maybe you are. I was a wahm for 7 years with 3 Children. I am now a sahm and I would say it's definitely more work as a sahm... that's just my experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 155 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM
That's funny :) That's great your a wahm did your husband or someone tell you your lazy? Maybe you are. I was a wahm for 7 years with 3 Children. I am now a sahm and I would say it's definitely more work as a sahm... that's just my experience.
squocket
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Why wouldn't I quote you if I wanted to respond?

Anyway, I am sorry if you were under the impression that I was trying to say that I do more than you. I thought that I had made it clear in my first comment that that was not my intention.(Also, why would you assume anything about the amount of work I do? I gave you no information regarding that)

I maintain what I said about asking you to refrain from saying that you do everything a SAHM does. My intention was not to imply that you don't do a huge amount of work. What I am trying to show is that part of being SAHM is being available for your children 24/7 (this is not me saying that you aren't available for you children). By working outside the home, you are not there for nighttime needs nor are you able to care for your youngest for a large portion of his/her day. I am not judging you for this or saying that it is wrong. All I am saying is that a SAHM would handle any needs her children had at night and would be caring for the baby because that is what she has agreed that she will do. It is not that either one is doing something wrong. It is that both mothers are doing different things and when you say you are doing the same things a SAHM does, you are neglecting to consider what a SAHM would be doing during the times you are out of the house/unavailable. These things are different from what you are doing. That is all I was trying to say.

Quoting xolilmamato3:

Are you out of your mind? What exactly more do you do than me being a sahm? I sleep maybe 6 hours during the day, because that is my sleep time. I still do all my household chores, everything with my kids being that I'm sleeping when two are in school. So does that mean in 3 years when all 3 are in school I'll be a sahm? I won't refrain from anything, because I do everything you do and support my family financially. I have a very different circumstance, because I work overnights. I still do every school event and hw and baths and doctors appointments and dance and girl scouts and cleaning and cooking and anything else a mother does! Oh and 2-3 of those 6 hours my baby is napping. I literally am with them all the time and at work while they are sleeping. Not to mention I work 3 nights a week, since I work 12 hour shifts, so the other 4 days I'm there 24/7. You really have a set of balls thinking I don't do what you do and more! Essentially I am a full time working and sahm, because of my hours. Actually now that I'm typing this I prob have it harder than most moms. And if you don't quote me I won't be responding to any replys, because I don't have time to search through all these posts.

Quoting squocket:

You sound extremely busy and I am not here to tell you that your job isn't hard or that you get a break while at work, but I would like to ask you to refrain from saying that you do everything a SAHM does because you don't. You are at work part of the day. A sitter takes care of your youngest so that you can sleep. Your life is completely different from that of a SAHM.

Quoting xolilmamato3:

The people that are saying that being a sahm is the hardest job in the world make me laugh! I'm guessing you are not a nurse that works overnights?! My day/night goes something like this...leave for work 7pm, work until 7am, come home and get 2 of my 3 kids ready for school, sleep around 9am while the sitter hangs out with my lil one, get back up 3pm and get the kids off the bus, do hw, cook dinner, give baths, get back to work. Not to mention when there are trips or a special events my nap is interrupted by attending these events. Went to their thanksgiving party and christmas party at 2 different schools and have a field trip next month. Got one in dance and girl scouts too. So where exactly is my so called break? You mean at work when I'm taking care of other people's babies? Half the time too busy to even talk to people around me! I would do anything to stay home with my kids, but that would mean I'd have to move to another state away from family since Long island is super expensive! I'm not calling anyone lazy or lucky. But don't tell me I get a break, since I work. I bust my damn butt and do everything a sahm does. I don't have a maid or chef. I clean, cook, care for my kids and work full time.

Kklstef
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I think it's amusing that you are calling out a woman who works nights for exaggerating what she does when clearly there are people here exaggerating what they do. I do not know a single SAHM who never sleeps. It's impossible. But people insist they work 24/7. I do not know a single SAHM with a spouse living in the house who never gets help when the babies are not sleeping through the night. Chances are, that mom who works nights, probably would not have parenting duties at night anyway, or would be sharing them with her DH three nights a week such that her working does not take her away from any parenting. I have seen tons and tons of message board posts from SAHMs about not getting to their housework or spending too much time on the Internet. I see the FB posts if women playing games all day. I run into A fast food restaurant on my lunch break, between stopping at the pharmacy and the dry cleaner, and see the same women who insist that I get a lunch break every day sitting around chit chatting while their kids run unchecked around the play gym.

I don't believe SAHMs are lazy. I think being a mother is hard no matter how you do it. But this thread is nauseating in the defensive attempts to make SAHMs into martyrs and WOHMs into some kind of shell of a mother who isn't giving motherhood their all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FemaleRacer
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I am not going to speak for all moms, of course, but I can say that I work my ass off.  I am home full time, while going to college online full time as well, I run the house, cook, clean, take care of the animals, tend to the children's needs and even act a a learning coach for our 2 children that go to public school online.  I run all of the errands including grocery shopping, doctor appointments, driving to and from pre-school for our oldest, and doctor appointments for our two special needs children.  Oh-and I am starting up my own business. 

I am a SAHM--but I am far from lazy.  I have an idea-how about instead of putting a mom down-no matter where she works-and support each other insetead?  Do we not have enough cahllenges as women?  Do we need this kind of drama to add to our already endless list of things to deal with? 

I do not know what every other mom is going through in their lives.  Who am I to judge or look down on any mom?  There was a time that I went through cancer treatments when my home was a disaster and my kids ate more meals out of a the freezer or a box, then home made meals.  If someone just saw how things looked from outside I sure they would have thought I was lazy.

Jessica---wife to Jeff and mom to a house full!

lunchbagbackpacktoddler boyttcpuppycat

lruesch
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I am kinda a sham but I go to school online trying to get my BA degree in health studies and then onto radiology school for 2 more years,I also work part time at a hair salon called Great Clips ,it is really close to my house And I am a full time mother first and foremost!!!!
Blondemommy64
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Who are you trying to convince?
Green_eyed_grl
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Blah blah blah blah blah. Forgive me for working, I mean an actual job, I also am , in my spare time raising a family, vol. at school, a church as well as being active in my community. Oh we even enjoy hobbies and have pets! Time management people and mad orgnizational skills along with a great partner is what I have!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 156 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

First of all, let me congradulate you for putting your children first. Second, your my hero! I stayed at home. I worked hard. I was VERY involved in my kids learning, I kept a clean home, had home made dinner every night. I did all the work. My husband went to work...and that is it. He didnt do anything outside of that realm unless he wanted too. I worked hard at home. I had stupid comments made too. I once had a family member ask "what I did all day. Plus, I was heavily involved in church. The only person you need to validate is YOU! I have known a couple of women who were lazy stay at home, but most that i knew were like me, hard working. You are amazing for staying at home!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)