Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

an 11 year old girl killed herself due to bullies. Update now includes link to story

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies

She was only 11. :( link coming shortly.

The parents of an elementary school student who took her own life want to help other parents avoid dealing with such loss.

David Petee said that his 11-year-old daughter, Hailey, took her own life on Sunday morning. He said that she just no longer could deal with the bullying she encountered.

“She was daddy’s little princess, who I’ll never get to hold again, never see another birthday,” David said. “I won’t get to see my little girl grow up.”

David described his daughter as bright, adventurous and someone who aspired to sing.

Behind her beautiful smile, though, was a deep sadness and fear, her parents said.

Mother Melinda Groce said that her daughter, a fifth-grader at London Elementary School, was tormented by her peers before and after school.

“She would cry every day coming home from the bus stop, every day she was crying, she didn’t want to get on the bus,” Melinda said.

Melinda said that Hailey was constantly bullied because she wore glasses and struggled with Attention Deficit Disorder with hyperactivity.

Despite Melinda’s efforts to stop it, the bullying continued for more than a year. She said that her daughter just gave up Sunday morning.

“I saw her light on, so I thought she was awake, and I opened the door, and she was just hanging on the bed, and there was nothing I could do,” Melinda said.

The parents said that their daughter tried to stop the bullying. A few weeks ago, they found a piece of artwork that read, “Stop Bullying, Free Zone.”

We found this, she made a couple of weeks ago in school, for the reason of she wanted to put a stop to it,” David said.

Melinda, who said that Hailey was not bullied while in the school building, said that they would fight for other bullied children whose voices go unheard.

“This is not a joke,” Melinda said. “If these kids think it’s OK to do this to other kids because it’s funny to them, it’s not funny when you’re hurting another family. It may not be you, but you’re taking a kid away from someone else.”

School officials said that they were unaware of any recent bullying complaints involving Hailey but that such behavior at school is strictly prohibited and would not be tolerated.

The school planned to have grief counselors on hand on Monday to help other students deal with the loss.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/27/london-parents-say-11-year-old-was-driven-to-suicide-because-of-bullying.html

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
secondboy2012
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
This makes me sad. 11 is still a baby :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
afwifeandmommy3
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetMama823
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Sad..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM

that is horrible. :(

keisha613
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

So sad.  A few years ago, an 11 year old boy in my neck of the woods did the same.  It's all so sad.  I have a 13 yr old DD and I tell her every day how beautiful she is and ways to deal with bullies.

skittlefart
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

awe :( poor little love

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 1 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
Aleta775
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

UGH! It makes me sick to think about it. I was bullied and picked on mercilessly. I thought about it some times. I'm glad I never did it though. It is hard sometimes to realize that things will get better. Bullies suck so much. 

thickmamaof2
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
So sad. My little sister did the same thing 14 months ago. she had just turned 13 three days before
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
11 moms liked this
Yup sad :(
Yet women on here STILL bully eachother daily. You would think as sdults, and mothers we would want to set better examples for our children.
maureen813
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
The age and gender surprise me as few female preadolescents successfully complete a suicide attempt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN