Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

an 11 year old girl killed herself due to bullies. Update now includes link to story

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She was only 11. :( link coming shortly.

The parents of an elementary school student who took her own life want to help other parents avoid dealing with such loss.

David Petee said that his 11-year-old daughter, Hailey, took her own life on Sunday morning. He said that she just no longer could deal with the bullying she encountered.

“She was daddy’s little princess, who I’ll never get to hold again, never see another birthday,” David said. “I won’t get to see my little girl grow up.”

David described his daughter as bright, adventurous and someone who aspired to sing.

Behind her beautiful smile, though, was a deep sadness and fear, her parents said.

Mother Melinda Groce said that her daughter, a fifth-grader at London Elementary School, was tormented by her peers before and after school.

“She would cry every day coming home from the bus stop, every day she was crying, she didn’t want to get on the bus,” Melinda said.

Melinda said that Hailey was constantly bullied because she wore glasses and struggled with Attention Deficit Disorder with hyperactivity.

Despite Melinda’s efforts to stop it, the bullying continued for more than a year. She said that her daughter just gave up Sunday morning.

“I saw her light on, so I thought she was awake, and I opened the door, and she was just hanging on the bed, and there was nothing I could do,” Melinda said.

The parents said that their daughter tried to stop the bullying. A few weeks ago, they found a piece of artwork that read, “Stop Bullying, Free Zone.”

We found this, she made a couple of weeks ago in school, for the reason of she wanted to put a stop to it,” David said.

Melinda, who said that Hailey was not bullied while in the school building, said that they would fight for other bullied children whose voices go unheard.

“This is not a joke,” Melinda said. “If these kids think it’s OK to do this to other kids because it’s funny to them, it’s not funny when you’re hurting another family. It may not be you, but you’re taking a kid away from someone else.”

School officials said that they were unaware of any recent bullying complaints involving Hailey but that such behavior at school is strictly prohibited and would not be tolerated.

The school planned to have grief counselors on hand on Monday to help other students deal with the loss.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/27/london-parents-say-11-year-old-was-driven-to-suicide-because-of-bullying.html

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Replies (41-50):
mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM
So heartbreaking :( I have a daughter her age. RIP little princess; I'm sorry you went through this :'(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM

When you are depressed you think of ways of doing it.

Quoting Sailor_nena:

How do 11 yr olds even know how to commit suiide??

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

You might want to study suicidology and also learn about primary supports/support system. Then feel free to slap yourself because the ignorance you spew is shameful. The truth hurts. Children suiciding have more than one cause. I didn't relieve the bully but I will not relieve the other offenders either. My butt happens to be educated in Mental Health and suicide.

Quoting Anonymous:

you are talking out your ass.  how dare you say that the parents are uninvolved or uncaring?  i wish there was a cyber-bitchslap option here.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is sad.  I nearly feel ashamed for adding this here but I shouldn't because it's the truth. Bullying that leads to suicide is awful, if it goes to cyber space and the public humiliation is via the web and world than I can see where it gets to core of the person, however bullying that remains in a single location is not what causes suicide. Sure it's the last straw but the child had other issues. For example they had poor primary support. I could go on and on but a suicidal child is not suicidal from bullying alone. What is sad is that we miss so many chances to help them in the home and especially in the school. Parents need to be more involved with their children, teachers need to address issues instead of blind eying and bullies need to be put in mandatory school counseling as they have some major issues going on at home. The bullies generally have an abusive or aggressive home and the victims generally have uninvolved parents or a parent that scapegoats them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Is that so? I'm living it. No textbook can teach what I've learned.

Quoting Anonymous:

You might want to study suicidology and also learn about primary supports/support system. Then feel free to slap yourself because the ignorance your spew is shameful. The truth hurts. Children suiciding have more than one cause. I didn't relieve the bully but I will not relieve the other offenders either. My butt happens to be educated in Mental Health and suicide.

Quoting Anonymous:

you are talking out your ass.  how dare you say that the parents are uninvolved or uncaring?  i wish there was a cyber-bitchslap option here.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is sad.  I nearly feel ashamed for adding this here but I shouldn't because it's the truth. Bullying that leads to suicide is awful, if it goes to cyber space and the public humiliation is via the web and world than I can see where it gets to core of the person, however bullying that remains in a single location is not what causes suicide. Sure it's the last straw but the child had other issues. For example they had poor primary support. I could go on and on but a suicidal child is not suicidal from bullying alone. What is sad is that we miss so many chances to help them in the home and especially in the school. Parents need to be more involved with their children, teachers need to address issues instead of blind eying and bullies need to be put in mandatory school counseling as they have some major issues going on at home. The bullies generally have an abusive or aggressive home and the victims generally have uninvolved parents or a parent that scapegoats them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I saw a post on here early this morning saying that op was a relative of this girl. something like she was her brother's first wife's daughter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Just because you are living something doesn't mean you are the rule. You may be the exception. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You might want to study suicidology and also learn about primary supports/support system. Then feel free to slap yourself because the ignorance your spew is shameful. The truth hurts. Children suiciding have more than one cause. I didn't relieve the bully but I will not relieve the other offenders either. My butt happens to be educated in Mental Health and suicide.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM
How horrible! Your family is in my thoughts! And my condolences for your loss!
ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. When you are a grade school kid, your entire world revolves around your peers. If they reject you and bully you, no amount of love from your parents makes up for the humiliation and feeling of personal failure. I was torturously bullied at school despite having loving, involved parents. I was so embarrassed of what I was going through that I didn't tell them the full scope of it until years later.

I never tried suicide but I spent way too many times wishing when I went to bed that i wouldn't wake up in the morning. NO 12 year old should feel that way.

It is a soul crushing experience and I can totally see where even a child from a loving home could be driven to the point of suicide over it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

If you are living it then I'm sincerely sorry for your loss and this would not be something to discuss with you at this time. You'd benefit from contacting your crisis hotline and finding the nearest survivors group. My truthful answer is to draw others to take a complete inventory so they do not suffer the ripple effect. Suicide is hard and leaves many questions. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

You are proof I'm correct. You had a hellacious time with peers bullying and might have wished to be dead but you never planned it, collected all the means to kill yourself or attempted it much less completed suicide because you had loving primary supports. I'm not saying that all those children who did suicide did not, I'm saying they had other straws that built to suicide and bullying or something else was the final straw. There is a huge difference in suicidal ideations and suicidal intentions. Unless we educate the public, which I'm attempting, it will continue at same rate or significantly higher secondary to www and social media. 

Quoting ANSLUASI:

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. When you are a grade school kid, your entire world revolves around your peers. If they reject you and bully you, no amount of love from your parents makes up for the humiliation and feeling of personal failure. I was torturously bullied at school despite having loving, involved parents. I was so embarrassed of what I was going through that I didn't tell them the full scope of it until years later.

I never tried suicide but I spent way too many times wishing when I went to bed that i wouldn't wake up in the morning. NO 12 year old should feel that way.

It is a soul crushing experience and I can totally see where even a child from a loving home could be driven to the point of suicide over it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)